Chapter 4 Part 1

"Let me explain." He said. "My name is..."

"...Lucas. Lucas Blackwood. But you can call me Luke. I just moved into this apartment building, 3a, and while I was going downstairs to the vending machine I heard yellin. I couldn't tell who it was so I ran towards you and I saw a drunk guy pushing you around. After he stumbled down the steps I chased after him. He might have a broken nose now." He grinned at that part and I noticed his lip was bleeding surrounded by what would soon be a bruise.  His arm had taken a pretty bad beating as well.

"I recognized you from school earlier today, which is a whole different story we'll talk about later. I checked your pocket for your keys and unlocked the door and brought you in here." He smiled and looked proud of himself. I guess that explains why he looked so familiar, I must've seen him around the apartment before. I stared at him in awe. Why? Why would he do this for me?

"Why won't you come near me?" I blurted out. His face flushed into a crimson color and his beautiful blue eyes were looking anywhere in the room but mine. That question had been on my mind the entire time.

"I, I.. see, well." Lucas started. He clenched and unclenched his fists and stood up. "When I carried you in here and laid you on the couch I was really worried. I held your hand for support. You started twitching at first, so I thought maybe you were dreamin. Then you started shaking and sweating and you looked like you were tryin to talk to me, like moving you lips, so I stayed by you. Then I dropped your hand and you woke up. I don't know how but I-I think I hurt you." He looked down, ashamed. "I'm scared I'll hurt you again."

My heart swelled. No one has ever showed me they cared that much.

"Don't think that, I was just having a dream. A nightmare actually. That's all it was." I assured him, thinking back to the horrible, terrifying experience. He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly and tilted his head.

Lucas still stayed on the opposite side of the room and watched me carefully, as if I were going to have a heart attack any minute.

"Listen, this is all kind of weird but it's late and you should stay. Get something for your lip and your arm and you can stay in my room tonight. I'll take the couch." I ordered.

"No. I can't." He said nervously.

"Please?" I begged. I really didn't want to be alone after everything.

"If I do, then you have to sleep in your room. I'll take the couch." Lucas replied in a serious tone. I honestly didn't think him staying out here was a good idea because when my mom gets here..

"Fine. But if you get caught tomorrow when my mom comes home..." I trailed off.

He grinned the goofiest grin and held his hands up in victory. A look of pure pain spread across his face and he gripped his arm, which was bleeding.

"Oh, jeez. Let me help you with that." I said starting to get up.

"No, don't. You'll hurt yourself gettin up. I'm fine." He grabbed some paper towels off the counter and wet them under the sink. There was no way I was letting him stay like that.

"Well then come to me." I said, not giving up. "There is gauze and tape in that closet over there."

After digging through the closet, he walked over to me and handed me the supplies. "Looks like we are both pretty injured tonight, huh?" He joked.

Lucas's arm was resting on a throw pillow and I started rolling the gauze around the wound, careful not to touch his skin at all in case I might hurt him.

"There." I stated. We both just sat across from each other staring. There was something about him. What, that I didn't know. But by the way his eyes swam with a sort of deep pain, not physical but emotional, it made me want to figure him out. Despite his attempts to hide it, it was awfully present. I wasn't about to bring it up, though, either.

"Now we're even?" Lucas suggested, eyebrows raised.  This boy I swear...

"I will never stop owing you, Lucas." I told him straightforward, looking at his eyes. It was true and I wasn't gonna beat around the bush about it. He saved me.

He stood up, and lifted me into his arms but put most of my weight onto the uninjured one. Carrying me bridal style into my room, I began to feel dizzy. I closed my eyes shut. "Never feel love, never feel love, never feel love, never feel love." Her voice echoed. The room began to spin and I felt like I couldn't breathe.

"What, what just happened?" I asked Lucas, looking around frantically. He stared at me deeply, and concentrated on my face.

"Are you okay? I think you're just tired, Scarlett." He said at the foot of my bed.

"How do you know my name?" I mumbled, half asleep  already.

"That's a story for another time," he chuckled. "Maybe tomorrow?"

I smiled, and his icy blue eyes glistened. He bent over, as if to hug me, but pulled away sharply.

"Good night, Scarlett." He said sternly. Then he  shut off the lights and walked out.

I've never been more relieved or disappointed in my life.

But the ever present itching to figure Lucas Blackwood out inspired me. It would inspire me to do some crazy things, as well.