11) "She'll Agree With Whatever I Say."

I dedicate this chapter to kelly_with_a_y because she's da bomb.

Scarlett's POV

Luke's eyelids fluttered open and he looked around tiredly, probably woken up by all the noise I made.

I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to remember.

What did you do? Think Scarlett, think. What just happened?

Waking up. Stretching. Standing up. Feeling dizzy. Falling back.

Maybe it's because you didn't eat and you stood up too fast. I thought to myself as I sat in the same position as I fell in. That had to be it.

"Woah, you okay?" A half awake voice asked, scratchy and deep from sleep. His eyes were a darker blue than usual, and they reflected the few stars that dotted the sky like freckles.

"I'm fine." I mumbled, rubbing my sore elbow. I debated whether or not to tell him about what just happened, not that I even know, but decided against it. Telling him would've caused more harm than good.

Sometime during yesterday while I was alone, I thought about how I've yet to tell Luke about my home life, and my past. About the curse, and just why Dylan is so important to me. I wonder now if I ever will.

"Ish ahbout dyme I go bock teh shleep." Luke grumbled in between his state of sleep and consciousness. I giggled as he curled up into a fetal position; he looked like a 16 year old baby with his long limbs jutting out.

I wished I could have fallen back asleep, but the dream I'd had kept me awake. It wasn't really all that bad this time, which shocked me. I didn't even jolt awake.

I was trapped. Entangled in something warm. It wasn't like the other dreams, where I'd been forced into a mental and physical straight jacket.

This time, I was safe.

Comfort flowed and pumped throughout my veins, yet the darkness and silence unsettled me. I was just waiting for something to happen.
Her muffled voice came not too long after, and it sounded clear. But as if she were talking behind a closed door.

This shield of comfort and safety was protecting me, I could feel it. Something told me that this was because I talked to my mom.

Usually, if I listen hard enough I can hear what she is saying. Not this time. I felt a wall between us and a thousand cold locks that told me I wouldn't be hearing from her. Not tonight.

The dream was short and had little meaning. I didn't understand why I couldn't hear her especially when this was the one time I had actually wanted to.

Ten minutes later, I found myself in the kitchen toasting a bagel and pouring a cup of French vanilla coffee. I hated being awake this early. The sun hasn't even made its appearance yet.

Luke's POV

After I was sure she had gone (I even waited five minutes after I heard the front screen door shut) I sat up. The dream I'd had was still haunting me, her voice ringing in my ears. I remembered that Scarlett had nightmares every so often, bad ones, and I hoped they weren't anything like the one I'd just had. I rubbed my face and recalled what happened.

A dark haired woman with piercing green eyes was shouting at me and I felt Scarlett cower against my side with every word the woman said. I needed to protect her. I would protect her. Forever if I had too, if it meant keeping her safe. I'd go to the ends of the earth for this girl, and it's taken me this long to admit that.