A Teaspoon of Stardust

...There are millions of unexplainable things on the small planet that is our world. For example, a goldfish's memory span is so small that they don't remember what happened two minutes ago. The mysteries of our universe fall from how a tree's leaves die and change different colors in the fall, but still find the strength to bloom in the spring, to how a teaspoon of stardust weighs more than an entire cruise ship. But, perhaps, the most beautiful enigma of all is that of a single word: love. We stupid humans pour our hearts and souls out into things and people that we think we love but actually wind up not mattering in the end. Over and over we trust and we believe hopelessly until there's nothing left, until we're empty. Maybe that is what happened to me. Maybe that is why there is no such thing as love. Maybe, just maybe, it's
All
In
Our
Heads.

- Journal entry of Scarlett Anne Murry

"Gre-great granddaughter? Are you insane?!" I yelled to Marie without prevail.

"Yes." She said so simply, with a blank stare in her eyes, leaving  wondering if that was in response to her insanity or being my grandmother.

"How can- how did you- you were just-" I stuttered in amazement, looking back and forth from "Marie" to an empty glass jar that was rolling around  on the ground.

"You see, sweetie. I'm a witch." She grinned. "I've known it all along! I knew you were my granddaughter! You know, you look just like I did."

How on earth could I be related to Marie? A witch? Personally, I don't mind whatever her occupation was but to say I was shocked was putting it lightly.

"But, how? I mean, not to be rude, but how are you still... You know... kicking around?" I edged closer to the door out of awkwardness.

"Oh!" She cackled and held her stomach with a tiny, frail hand. "I used a potion to make me young, that way I could approach you more easily."

I continued asking questions, like how old she was.

"One hundred and three." She stated and cracked her knuckles.

One hundred and three... wicken of one hundred and three... that couldn't be... could it?

"I knew that this was the year, and she didn't even have to tell me!" Marie cut off my thoughts with another confusing exclaim.

She? "Who are you talking about? How did you know I was coming?" I accused in a disbelieving voice.

"She as in... Well if ye haven't seen her... I knew you were comin' cause I felt it in me bones... just as I did your mother." While I questioned her she walked over to her shelf and began pulling down random bottles; some, particularly with purple caps, she placed on the table, and others she threw behind her carelessly.

"What about my mother? How do you know her?" My head was spinning and I couldn't handle all of this at once. Was my life actually stable at any point?

"She came just as you did. What did you say the name of that boy was?" She uttered and inspected a jar with various symbols ineligible to me, but obviously she understood them because she shook her head and tossed it into a corner. I watched it as the jar flew up in flames and with a bright orange puff of smoke it diminished. One moment it was there, the next it was gone.

"I didn't." I said, not wanting to tell her much about myself. As comfortable as I always seemed to be around Marie, the situation was just a little too strange for my liking. I was beginning to think she belonged in a mental institution rather than that plain old fruit store.

"Scarlett Anne if you want my help I need to know the name of the boy. " She ordered sternly and wagged a bony finger at me, with one hand on her hip. The kind look in her soft eyes gave me an overwhelming sense of nostalgia.