16) Blue Hair?

If the story doesn't make a lot of sense to you right now, it will within the next few chapters. I promiseee

Scarlett's POV

It was morning already. You'd be surprised at how comfortable a porch swing can really be, especially midsummer. For the second time, I fell asleep on the porch with Luke. And for the second time ever, I didn't jolt awake. Oh, but how I wish I did.

The nightmare was so terrifying that I seemed paralyzed through the entirety of it. That's the only thing I remember though. Something was going on around me and all I could do was watch, I couldn't even shut my eyes.

The sun made everything warm and golden and anything that was touched by this morning light held a promising glow. Tendrils of sun rays stretched out towards me, and just by this you could tell the cool morning would turn hot and uncomfortable.

I was curled up onto one side of the swing while Luke was sprawled out on the wooden floor. He probably fell off last night since he's extremely clumsy. And cute.

What? Not like that. I didn't mean that. You don't mean that. No.

Luke's mouth was hanging open and a slight snore passed out through his lips, blowing a loose peice of hair off his forehead. His eyeballs flitted side to side behind his eyelids, as if he were looking around frantically. Then his mouth twitched into a frown, and his eyebrows raised in confusion.

He began whispering unintelligibly and I strained to hear what he was saying.

"Annie? Annie?" He struggled to pronounce her name. Who was she? Luke's never told me about an Annie before...

"Sca- No! No!" He yelled. The swing swayed behind me as I leaped up and knelt down next to him. I shook his shoulders, trying to wake him from the bad dream. Heaven knows how many I've had.

"Luke! It's alright, I'm here." I assured him as he opened his eyes quickly. I rubbed his shoulder and told him it was okay.

"What? Why- what happened?" He looked around the front porch before realizing where he was and what must've gone on. I never really thought about it, but it must be hard for Luke here. He just up and left his family to come to the shore. I mean, I have Dylan- had Dylan, but in a way Luke's alone.

"It was only a nightmare, you're okay." I smiled sadly giving him a hand up. He cracked his neck and I grimaced at the sound.

"The floor is very uncomfortable." He changed the subject quickly. I didn't want to bring up the whole "Annie" thing in fear that it would bring the nightmare back, cause that happens with me, so I just opened the screen door and he followed me inside.

"Want breakfast?" I asked while pulling down a box of Fruity Pebbles. Luke seemed kind of out of it, staring hard out the window looking deep in thought. He nodded, but I wasn't sure if he actually even heard me.

I shrugged and poured him a bowl anyway. If anything, it might make him feel a little better.

"Hey, if you wanna talk about it I'm here. I don't like to when I have nightmares but if it makes you feel better..." I offered.

"Hmm," He considered, swishing the colorful flakes around the milk. "Maybe later."

Luke knew almost all about myself, and he still hasn't opened up to me. I'm not going to pry. But he will when he's ready, right?

"Err, I've got weekends off so you wanna do something?" I asked nervously.

He blinked a few times and took a deep breath in, seemingly woken up from his trance. Luke stood up, smiling fakely, and said "Yeah, just let me get a shower first."