To Lay Down One's Life For One's Friends

THIS IS EXTEEMLY UNEDITED LIKE LEGIT I FINISHED THIS AT SIX IN THE MORNING FOR Y'ALL SO KEEP THAT IN MIND WHEN YOU READ HOW AWFUL THIS IS AND REMEMBER TO LISTEN TO THE SONG

"So you know like the basics of what's happening then?" My question lingers in the crisp Autumn air. Before we'd time traveled, or whatever this was called, it was summertime, and the adjustment to the cold of October was not settling well with either of us.

"Pretty much, you're cursed by her and she's a witch. She's a Blackwood and I'm one of her descendants. You're a Murry, one of her lovers descendants. She cursed the Murrys to never feel love, and since fate, um, played match maker with us two, a Murry and a Blackwood have once again been tied together by Destiny. Our love is strong enough to break the curse and Evangeline doesn't like that. Her lover guy left her and she was mad so she cursed us to never feel love because of that and now she wants to kill us. I got that right?"

All except for a few things. "Yes, besides the love part. I'm not really sure what she means by that, but we can't be in love, can we? Come on, we met just this year. I didn't even know you until halfway through the semester. Not that I would know what it feels like, anyway."

"So people can't fall in love that quickly, then?" He tests. "You really think that?"

I laughed bitterly. "Okay, first. I'm still not completely sure that this love thing is even real and not just something we all make up in our heads to justify the reasoning behind wanting to marry someone for looks or money. So this is all a pretty big step for me."

Luke muttered something under his breath.

"What?" I say, my irritation growing.

"Nothing," he responds. "Forget it."

I roll my eyes and continue pacing back and forth in front of the bronze clock tower, which was lit up only by the pool of moonlight in the clearing in front of it. "Luke."

"No, its just really... it's all so confusing. You think I want to feel this way? Like I've fallen for a girl who I've only really known for a short time? From when I first saw you in that hallway, Scarlett Anne, I knew there was somethin' about you. I couldn't quite tell. It was like somethin' inside of me was fighting to get out. I just wanted to be near you, even that was enough. And with the more time we spent together, the more I got to know you, the more I wanted. I didn't just want to be your friend anymore. But I knew I couldn't, something told me I couldn't and I'm thinking that had to do with the curse.

But don't you dare tell me what I'm feeling isn't love, because when you're hurt, when I see you in pain, I would give up anything and everything in the world to see your smile again. It scares me. I love you, Scarlett Anne Murry."

My eyes widened and all I could feel was fear. He just said he loves me. What do I do now? I don't feel the same... do I? How?

He came towards me in what was probably a hug, but I backed away, pressing against a thick tree. I blinked and rubbed my eyes because it wasn't Luke coming at me, but my father. And my father doesn't love me, he left. So would Luke. He'd realize how awful I am just like my father did and then he'd abandon me too. There's no way I could handle that loneliness again.

"No," I said quietly. "Luke we can't."

"Why not?" Luke's voice raises and I flinch. "Huh? Tell me!"

"Because we can't!" I cried. "I don't want to be alone! I don't want to believe you, then be left out in the cold! It can't happen again, it can't. I never should have let this happen."

In the dull blue moonlight, I could see a hurt but determined expression on his face. "I could never leave you, Scar. Not after all this. You think I'd do that to you, darlin'?"