Falling out of line

The train station was far too crowded for Ava's liking. The thick smoke from certain engines that filled the air left her feeling sick. Uneasy. Transferring from Ilvermorny during what should have been her fourth year wasn't her idea, but her fathers. Who thought Ilvermorny wasn't as good of a school as it should be. And in the words of her own mother "I am in control of your education, thanks."

Ava looked behind her shoulder, waving goodbye to her dad. She stumbled her way through the platform, ignoring the weird stares. She knew what they were thinking. She hoped she wouldn't be the only one with an american accent. She had known a few boys in her year back at her old school who had opted out of Hogwarts after a troll was left to wander the corridors. Or a few girls who had been sent out from Beauxbatons out of fear that You-Know-Who would be targeting the french next. She brushed past the shoulder of a shorter girl with dark hair.

"Sorry" Ava murmured, trying not to be loud. They were already staring, and her lack of an accent made her a target. She felt like she was on display. And she hated being watched. 

"It's fine" the girl muttered back. Her tone was equally lacking in disposition. Ava noticed her voice. Or well, how she had no accent. 

"I'm Ava." She said. She prided herself on the way her voice was unwavering. 
"Margaret." The shorter girl said. "but everybody just calls me Maggie." 

Ava took her hand out of her pocket, reaching forward to shake hands with Maggie, but she was interrupted when another body was pushed into her.

"Elliott!" Maggie's voice was sharp, "watch out." her voice was quieter, but still held.

"Shit" Elliot whispered, "sorry."

"It's okay." Ava said. She was honestly just glad that they weren't questioning her voice, or why she was here. 

They walked to the train together at a quick pace. The station was busy, and they wanted to get there on time. They pushed past several other people, Ava watched as Elliott and Margaret shot weird looks, and laughed in the faces of those who stared at them. She wondered if she had made a good choice in her new found friends. But when they took her by the arm and led her into an empty seat. She knew she had.

                             But of course, that was a year ago. And our story doesn't get a happy beginning.