EPISODE 2 - THE DEVIL AMONG US

His flaming eyes darted about, taking in the world that sheltered him during his temporary fall. Megatron's white irises shrank and expanded as his optics landed on Starscream, observing his hunched deputy.

"How do you feel?" Starscream cautiously approached Megatron's table. The room was empty, abandoned by the the other three Decepticons that had accompanied them during the operation.

"Frail," Megatron grumbled, his rich, deep voice crackling through the still air.

Starscream gave a small nod. "You will recover, just like you had all those other times."

Megatron sat up, his power still evident in even such a miniscule action. His chin raised, he stared down at Starscream, his newborn brain obviously active and judging. "You wanted me dead, didn't you?"

Starscream sucked in a small breath. Not being transparent has never been his strong suit. "I wouldn't call it that."

"Call it what?"

"Wanting you dead. I don't want you dead."

"That's because you need me dead. That is the only way you will lead this group." Megatron warily lowered himself to the floor, his feet struggling to take his incredible gladiator weight.

"Maybe trying to walk isn't the best -" Starscream swept forward as his liege collapsed, and he pressed against Megatron's armored shoulders to prevent his fragile head from bashing against the floor. "- course of action. Do not worry. The Decepticons will be led graciously while you recover."

Megatron whipped his head up, his fiery optics burning with the passion of leadership. "I won't let you lead them."

His voice...his words were not smothered with raw enmity. Instead, they were courageous and intelligent. Starscream stared emptily at his master's mouth, wondering how it had managed to produce such a masculine and beautifully handled phrase.

"I know what you do, and it has never been applaudable. Everything I have constructed for the Decepticons is taken down when you step up to take my place."

"You are unwell."

"I...I know." Megatron dropped his head, fear wracking through his body.

Starscream felt uncomfortable, almost violated, watching such an unstoppable force slowly falling in upon itself, like a wonderous star finally ending its cycle of fusion.

"Help me up," Megatron ordered, placing a solid hand upon Starscream's comparably feeble shoulder, and the commander was tugged down slightly. Starscream helped pull up the lord, and Megatron wavered in the air as he attempted to stable himself.

Megatron began to parade sluggishly around the room, eagerly looking to Starscream. "See? I am ready to start again."

Starscream felt the cavity around his spark tighten. This was when the beating began. Megatron had seen through him, as usual, like the window of a house, contemplating the ugly and despicable décor inside his second in command.

"Come. Help me to the bridge." Megatron beckoned Starscream forward with a brief flick of his hand, and Starscream scampered up to him, cautious. Starscream grew tense as Megatron again placed his hand on his shoulder, handing off some of his weight to him. "I have a horrendous headache," Megatron murmured as they entered the labyrinth of hallways making up the Nemesis, and his feet slid along abnormally, like his brain was still trying to connect to them.

. . .

A chilled wind blasted Starscream's face as the doors to the bridge slid apart, and he aided his liege into the room. Soundwave was busily tending to a plethora of information contained in one of the computers, and he turned his head to learn who had entered.

"Megatron, no!" Soundwave rushed forward, desperate to put his master back on his back. "Knock Out said you can't walk yet. You need to rest." He turned to observe Starscream, and his visor started to glow brilliantly as fury began to command him. "You wretch! How dare you -"

"I asked him to," Megatron interrupted, his voice remaining silky even though his own optics were filled with rage. He did not appreciate Soundwave's hasty accusation.

Soundwave backed away. "You still need to recharge. You have taken an incredible amount of damage."

"That is no worry."

"But the Decepticons need you to recover."

"The Decepticons are no more. The conflict ends today."

Soundwave and Starscream glanced at each other, pondering what their leader had just uttered. Megatron stalked forward to the head of the bridge, gazing out at the spattering of stars that collected around the Earth resting below.

"We have wronged the Autobots and the natives of this planet," Megatron continued. "If we are to rebuild our homeworld, we must end the Decepticons and Autobots. No one shall win, but that is the only way for our species to win."

Megatron continued his proposal of the future, and Soundwave scooted next to Starscream, his face dangerously close to Starscream's audio receptors.

"There is a devil among us," Soundwave softly said. "He has betrayed everything he has built our kind upon."