SEVEN

ALEXIS' P.O.V.

"Da da da daaa," sings Hagrid, raising his hands as the most bizarre creature ever steps forwards. It's got the body, hind legs, and tail of a horse, but the front legs, wings, and head of a giant eagle.

"Say hello to Buckbeack." Hagrid throws a dead ferret into the air and the animal catches it swiftly in its steel coloured beak.

Ron is the first to speak. "Hagrid... what the bloody hell is that?"

"A Hippogriff! Now, firs' thing yeh gotta know about hippogriffs is, they're proud. Easily offended. Don't never insult one, 'cause it might be the last thing yeh do."

Oh, wonderful. Great first advice.

"Oh, an' 'Lexis, no eating in class."

I pout and tilt my head. "Come on, Hagrid. You want your classes to be different, right? No one else lets us, and I'm having fun. Pleaseee?"

Hagrid sighs and looks around. "Oh alrigh'. But not often, yer hear me?"

I smile gratefully, earning approvals from the rest of the class. I continue eating and prop my elbow horizontally on Harry's shoulder as he stands against a giant boulder.

"Am I a good resting post?" he says, crossing his arm.

"Sure, but you seem to be talking an awful lot. I like mine quiet."

"Make m—"

"Harry and Alexis! Well done!" shouts Hagrid suddenly.

I choke on a piece of my apple and look frantically at Harry. We both look behind us and see everyone a good few feet away.

" 'Xcuse me?" I cough.

"Come an' say hello then," says Hagrid, beckoning us to come.

Neither of us moves, completely taken aback.

Ron pushes Harry, who takes my rolled-up sleeve and tugs. I struggle against him but he drags me forwards anyway, forcing me to get closer to that... thing.

"No, Harry no, please no," I whisper, but he holds me tightly by the wrist.

"Always wait for the hippogriff ter make the firs' move," Hagrid instructs. "It's polite, see? Yeh walk toward him, and yeh bow, an' yeh wait. If he bows back, you're allowed ter touch him. If he doesn't bow... well we'll get to that later."

I whimper.

We take slow steps towards Buckbeak, looking directly into his eyes.

"Tha's right... don't blink too much now..."

My eyes water but I don't dare close them.

"Tha's it, Harry... now, bow — or courtesy 'Lexis..."

I hold my skirt out and courtesy, looking down now.

It squawks and flaps its wings and Hagrid, alarmed, tells us to back off. Harry treads on a twig which snaps and I grab Harry's hand back.

It's going to kick us in the face. I just know it.

"I'm going to kill you... you know that," I whisper to Harry.

"Just. Look. Up," he whispers back, raising his head very slowly.

Buckbeak looks at us both, side by side, and nods its head. He bends his knees and bows gracefully, and I let out a long sigh. We're safe.

"Well done, the both of ya. Now pet him," says Hagrid, throwing another ferret at the Hippogriff.

"Say what?" I squeak. I thought we could go now.

Harry moves us slowly toward the hippogriff and reaches out toward it. He pats the beak several times and the hippogriff closes its eyes lazily, as though enjoying it.