Chapter 3 - It's Not a Date.

Chapter 3 - Louis's POV

When Simon told us that we'd be at a signing at the local mall in Los Angeles, I didn't think much of it. I just wanted to get it over with so the boys and I could go back to relaxing at our 'secret' mansion in the city. We had the whole summer to ourselves until we'd begin our 2011-2012 Up All Night tour, so we needed a period of time to wind down. The boys and I decided that we'd stay at the house in California instead of London for the five of us to bond here.

At the shopping center, there were girls all lined up and screaming our names. I was sure to keep a smile on my face at all times and occasionally looked up. Signing CDs was a daunting task. 

A girl with chocolate brown hair and a skinny frame greeted me at the end of the table. "Hey, Louis..." the girl said, her voice breaking on my name. I glanced up to meet her eyes, only to find that she was staring down, avoiding eye contact. 

"Hey there, lo - " 

Was it...

No.

But it was. 

My best friend. The love of my life. The girl who moved from Doncaster to Los Angeles because of her parents divorce. The girl I've loved since I was young. It was her. And to top it all off, she had the half heart locket I'd gotten her a while ago around her neck, as if she'd never taken it off.

"Rylie?" 

"Nope, sorry..." She replied quickly. But I knew it was her. Those long eyelashes framing her soft brown eyes were unmistakeable. She'd changed so much over the course of two years. She'd gotten taller, her figure was more filled out. She looked and seemed more mature, while I was the same idiotic boy. Or, that's what this felt like.

I'd missed her, except I didn't know I'd said it out loud.

I saw her eyes brighten. "I have to go, Louis. Nice... Nice to see you again." She seemed hesitant, stumbling through her words. 

"But Riles..." I needed to speak to her. I needed to know how she'd been, what she was up to. I needed her.

It was no use. Rylie had fled the signing and all that was left of her was the memory. 

I stood up and was about to chase after her, but Harry put his arm on my shoulder. He'd seen the entire thing. "Let her go," he advised softly.

I slowly resumed my place and continued signing CDs. I didn't know exactly what I was doing, though. I couldn't stop thinking about her, and before I knew it, the event was over. 

The limo ride back to our flat here went as usual. Liam and Zayn were tapping on their phones, no doubt texting Dani and Perrie, Niall was digging into a pack of crisps, and Harry and I sat side by side, not speaking. 

Suddenly, Harry turned to me. "That was her, wasn't it?" He whispered. I nodded silently. "I'm so sorry, Louis." 

I nodded again and turned away from my best mates, hiding the tears that formed. 

After Rylie left a few years ago, I tried my best to keep myself from losing it. We'd video chatted and talked on the phone all day, everyday. But it wasn't the same. When the X Factor opportunity came up, I took it, in hopes that if I made it far enough, Rylie would see me on television and be proud. I'd made it father than I thought. Soon, the judges put together our band and we became One Direction. After the X Factor, we began recording and released our album not long after. 

I realize now that I neglected Rylie, I hadn't talked to her since the day I'd gotten accepted on the X Factor. Now I got why she didn't want to talk to me. But why would she show up?