Broken Dreams

In the New Central Park in the early afternoon when the sun was roaring, the temperature was rasing, nobody was there except for Holland.

He was sitting on the bench to fill its body with energetic sun's rays for more than an hour. He was thinking about the future of his children as well as his dead wife. He was trying to figure out any possibility and uncertainty that would arise if he encountered an uncertain death. Furthermore, what impacts and outcomes will be faced by his growing children. Will they survive in this monstrous cruel world without him? They are still too little and naive to tackle this big world without him.

The precipitous thought about life, death & family came into Holland's mind because of his fight with his employer earlier in the morning. An unfortunate, belligerence fight transformed from the heated argument, which finally ends up with Holland's distressed mood. The argument lasted an hour, and after that, Holland almost gave verbal resignation to his boss that had no noticeable repercussion.

He was agitated and distraught; moreover, the whole time, he thought about giving up everything and quit the job, but he couldn't as he needed this to support his family. The pessimistic thought of leaving the job was kept rambling around in his mind.

A sudden wind gust diverted his attention to another direction, a direction that makes him even sadder—the thought about his dead wife. Holland's wife died several years ago while delivering his last child. It was the most challenging day in Holland's life.

Although his lunch break was over half an hour ago, he wasn't in a mood to go back to work.

Holland was a middle-aged bald man living in his 40s, with two kids, Jamie, fourteen and Andy, a ten-year-old boy. He dedicated his whole life to his family, even gave up his ambitious dream to become a poet. He had been working, a tedious nine-to-five job, in a local company as a consultant for more than a decade.

At the beginning of his career as a consultant, He was pretty happy, but everything changed after an unexpected administration adjustment. He no longer felt secure at the job and started to hate it. Although he was planning for a long, to start his own business with the saved money. However, it was too risky for him to jump into another profession at this stage of life.