Trial by Television

The following night, as usual, Holland was watching the news on his 29" Television, which he bought last year on Christmas after getting a raise. The reporter from the news channel talked about the rain falling from the sky since the morning. In just a few hours, the rainfall had taken a destructive turn and transformed into the gigantic cloudburst the city ever encountered.

He turned to another channel to watch something less disappointing. He found another depressing news about the rain. It was about the coal miners who got stuck in the mine due to a sudden cloudburst, but thanks to the local authority's quick action, everyone was rescued to safety, and no heavy casualty occurred.

He switched the channel again, and now there was a report about a garment company. The company's building's outer structure got damaged heavily by the rain. All the materials, especially clothes, deteriorated. It will cost a fortune for the company to recover from this impact. It implied that the factory was built under the water and not on the ground. It was the same company where Holland works, and now its facing financial difficulties after the catastrophe. Most of the people were layoffs, including Holland.

Even though he had lost his job, he wasn't so pessimistic as he was thinking of leaving that job anyway. He made up his mind a few weeks ago, but he never dared to take an audacious step. He had worked there for almost ten years after moving from his native place. Now, the only thing left is the memory.