Chapter 7: Friends

A/N Sorry for the bad picture! I couldn't find anything else to put and I wanted one for every chapter. 

SiSi out.

I woke up to light streaming in through the window.  I looked around and saw James laying on the cot next to me.  He was out cold.  I couldn't help laughing at his loud snoring.  

I used my left hand to lift me into a more comfortable position.  My left shoulder ached, but it was better than yesterday.

I swung my legs off the cot and rose shakily to my feet.  Every inch of my body was sore from my fight with the Jackals but it felt good to stretch my legs.  

I walked around, making sure my steps made no sound on the stone floors.  James was still sleeping.  That's when I saw a small bottle and a note next to my cot.  I picked up the note and read it.

I had to go out to find some plants I need for your cut. 

Drink this and STAY IN BED.

I sighed and climbed back onto the cot.  I held the bottle to my lips and chugged it down, gagging as the slimy substance slugged down my throat.  It tasted like oregano oil mixed with beets and limes.  

I forced myself to keep it down, but it made my stomach churn.  I set the empty bottle aside and settled under the thin blanket, shivering.  It was cold in that room.  

Suddenly something warm was thrown over me.  I looked up at James.  I guess he had woken up without me realizing it.  

It scared me a little.  I could usually just sense when someone moved or stirred behind me.  Maybe it was part of the trust thing.  I still hoped it was a one time thing.  This couldn't happen.  Especially on my jobs.  

"How are you feeling?" James asked.

"Better," I replied, looking away from his shinning eyes.  

"Should I get the doctor so he can change the bandages?"

"He said he left to go get some plant," I replied.  "I'm sure I can change it by myself."

James went over to a table and grabbed a bottle and some fabric.  

"Here," he said when she tried to remove the blood-stained fabric covering her shoulder. "Let me." He carefully removed it, revealing a nasty gash.  He dumped some of the substance in the bottle into the palm of his hand.  He gently smeared some of the smelly cream on my cut and I bit my lip to keep from screaming.  He quickly wrapped up my shoulder and dumped the dirty fabric.  Then he went back over to me and wiped a tear off my cheek that I hadn't noticed was there.  

He smiled at me and grabbed my hand.  I wanted to pull away but couldn't.  I looked into his golden eyes.  Then he started leaning forward...

I snapped out of my stupor and cleared my throat. 

"So, when does school start?" I asked.

He quickly pulled his head far away from me and released my hand.

"I don't think you should go to school today," he replied. "You should probably just rest."  I decided not to argue.  Skip school?  It sounded great.

"I'm...sorry for being so mean to you yesterday," I began. "It's just that, after my father disappeared...I had trouble opening myself up. Plus, me and my step-mother move around a lot and so I'm not used to getting close to anyone. I mean, there's no point if you just move away to another kingdom the next summer."

"I understand," James replied. "So...does that mean we're friends?"

"I guess," I replied hesitantly.

"Great!" he exclaimed. "Well...I'll see you after school then. Bye Lily."

I waved as he opened the door and left.