Chapter 15: The Price to Pay

The king's and queen's gasps echoed through my head.  I knew what they were thinking:

A SIXTEEN YEAR-OLD GIRL?

If they were even thinking that.  I've been told I look young for my age.  Plus, I'm kinda on the short side.

"Yes," The Jackal said. "This is your precious Crossbow. Not so strong and brave anymore, is she?" Then he kicked me in the side.  I crawled into a fetal position.  Once I was there, I wasn't sure I could move again.

Suddenly I was pulled to my feet, but my legs wouldn't hold me up.  I crumpled to the ground and hit my head in the same place again.  I cried out in pain.  

The Jackal stomped over to me and picked me up by the same arm as before.  The tears streamed down before I could stop them.  He dragged me through the dirt, my arm feeling like it would fall off.

"Please..." I begged.  I had never felt such weakness and pain.

"You shouldn't have gotten involved in things you don't understand."

I looked up with all my remaining strength and gave him my final words. "I know very well what I got myself involved in. My father is gone because of people like you. I vowed to do everything in my power so that children like me would actually have a father. A father to learn with, to read with, to play with, and to grow with. I don't regret anything I've done." And with that I couldn't feel a limb in my body.  Everything was blurry.  

But it was worth it for the look on The Jackal's face.

"And now, you will die," The Jackal replied.

If that is the price to pay, I thought.  I didn't have enough energy to say it out loud.

The Jackal yanked me forward by just my arm and dragged me over to a tree stump.  He forced me into a kneeling position.  

And that's when I knew.

I was going to die by the sword.

A/N So sorry for such a short chapter! I just wanted this part to be dramatic. Stay tuned for the next chapter!

Ciao,

-SiSi