Chapter 22: Change

"Wow," James breathed. "That is a lot of weapons."

I had led James upstairs to my bedroom to bring him to my weapons cabinet.  It used to be my closet for my clothes, but I had repurposed it and moved my clothes to small boxes under my bed.  

My weapons cabinet was filled with every kind of weapon.

Swords.

Daggers.

Knives.

Axes.

Spiky, metal maces.

Even slingshots.

"Take your choice," I told him. "You can use whatever you want." I grabbed some throwing stars and stuffed them in my pockets.

"What are those?" James asked, referring to the stars.

"They're throwing stars. I got them at a village me and my step-mother stayed at for a little while. You just throw them." I grabbed one and threw it at the opposite wall.  It stuck there.

"Alright, now we're throwing things," James said.

"They are throwing stars," I pointed out.

He laughed. "Yes, yes they are."

He grabbed a dagger and stuffed some throwing stars into his pockets.

"Man, these are sharp," he noted. 

"I sharpen them once a week," I replied. "I like to be prepared for anything."

He nodded and we walked out of my bedroom.  

When we got outside he mounted his horse. "Sorry I couldn't bring two horses," he said, offering a hand to me.  I ignored it and jumped onto the horse on my own.  I hesitated before wrapping arms around his chest.

James tapped the side of the horse, and it trotted forward.

When we got to school, I swung my leg off the horse and unmounted.  James got off next to me and led the horse over to a stand.  He tied the reins to it and patted the horse's side.

"We'll be back soon, boy," he said soothingly. "Come on. We're already late." 

I nodded and followed him inside.

"Look who's back," a voice said when we entered the stone entryway. 

I didn't bother to look to see who it was.  I already knew.  

I scooted closer to James as we walked, and Amber didn't say another word.

"I'll be right in," James whispered to me when we reached the first class.

"Can I come with you?" I whispered back.

"If you go now, you won't be late."

"I don't care."

"Alright."

I followed him to a door at the opposite end of the hallway.  He opened the door and walked inside.

"Prince James," a tall man greeted.  He wearing a noble's jerkin and shinny black boots.  His hair and eyes were dark and he had a small beard.

"Sir Edward," James returned. "May I have a word?"

"Of course," Sir Edward replied.  

We sat down at the large wooden table in the center of the spacious room.  The ceiling seemed miles away and caused an echo as Sir Edward and James spoke.

"This is Lily," James said, gesturing towards me. "I was wondering if you might change of few of her classes. History and Sewing."

"What is wrong with them?" Sir Edward asked, clearly annoyed, but trying to hide it behind his large, fake smile.