Chapter 18: Revisiting the Past

"So why were those guys out to get you?" James asked after I had finished three cream balls.  

They were good for the healing process. 

"The Jackal?" I asked. "Well, he and I have a long history." I looked down at my lap.

"Do you not want to talk about it?"

"No...it's just that...I've never told anyone. It's too painful..."

"Then you don't have to tell me." He put a reassuring hand on mine.

I looked up at him and smiled. "I think it would be good to tell someone," I replied. "My father..." I swallowed. "...used to be a farmer. The best farmer in all the land.

"He attracted nobles and peasants alike--everyone. Including thieves." I held back my tears.

"One day a band of them...the jackals...attacked my father's land and tried to steal a cow. My father fought, but he was no match for them. I...I...ran out to see what all the noise was about and--my father got distracted. It was only for a second, but it was all they needed. They...took him away."

I couldn't stop the tears.  James scooted closer to me and put an arm around my shoulder.

"You don't have to finish," he assured me.

"No...no...this is nice. It feels good to tell someone," I replied. "Immediately after, my step-mother, Anette, moved us far away. Since then, we haven't stayed in the same place longer than a year."

"What about The Jackal? What happened?"

"Just a few months after my father disappeared, I devoted myself to training. It helped with the pain. I started taking down small thieves in the market. After only a few more months, I started doing bigger things."

"Why did you never come to the king?"

"I always thought the king was a selfish man who didn't care for the people. I took it into my hands to do his job for him. I'm sorry he's your father, but I don't like him." I pulled my hand away from James'. "I'm thankful for him for taking me under his roof, but I'm better now. I can go home."

I started to rise, but James stoped me. "You can't go yet! Not until the physician clears you."

"I don't need a physician to clear me. I've dealt with worse." 

In truth, I hadn't.

I had never received such a fatal blow.

I had almost lost my life.

But I could handle myself.  I didn't need any royal pity.

I rose to shaky feet and took a step forward.  

I almost collapsed.  But somehow I kept myself upward. 

"Please, Lily," James begged. "You're going to make yourself worse."

"I am Crossbow. I need no one," I replied and took another step forward.  

I made it to the door and looked out into the hall.  Its beauty and formality only made me angrier.  

"Where is the way out?" I asked one of the guards stationed near the door.  He stared at me, probably appalled at my appearance.  

I didn't care.

"Show me the way out," I demanded.  

The guard led me down the hallways to the main door.  

"Lily, wait!" James called behind me. "I know you don't want to go back with your step-mother. But the king has decided to allow you to live here. At the palace. It was the least we could do after all you've done."

"I don't want your help," I replied firmly. "I'm fine all on my own."

And with that, I threw the doors open, walked down the palace steps, and went into a less extravagant world.