Chapter 13: Hopeless

The Jackal left me awake.  Probably so I could suffer on his words.

But I didn't want to give him what he wanted.  I focused all my thoughts on escaping.

It looked like I was in a basement.  The only door was the one The Jackal went through, and I had heard him lock it.  Plus, he probably had someone guarding it.  The only other things in the room were the metal chair I sat in, a few barrels--probably of wine--, and a small wooden table.

There were no windows.

No air holes.

Nothing to escape from.

I struggled against my bonds, no matter how much it hurt.  I pulled and tugged until my wrists were raw.  

The chair was unbreakable.  I tried and tried and tried.

And tried.

Every bone in my body ached.

But I didn't give up.

My legs were also tied but I still tried to walk.  I only ended up falling on my face and ending up in an extremely uncomfortable position.

My stomach growled.

I hadn't eaten since the cream ball James gave me that morning.  I suddenly wished I hadn't yelled at James.  Maybe he would be looking for me now instead of going to find a new friend.  A tear rolled down my cheek.  

I hadn't cried this much in a few days since my father's disappearance.  

In fact, I hadn't cried at all.

I had sucked it all up and continued on.  Like nothing was wrong.

But it felt different now.

Maybe it was because I was going to die tonight.

Maybe it was because everyone would know who Crossbow really was.

And maybe...

it was because I had had a friend.