Chapter 20: Tears

To be honest.

I had no idea where I was.

The palace was situated in the middle of the main town. And there was no forest in sight. I sighed and started walking aimlessly.

When I heard footsteps behind me, I didn't even look back. I just started running.

I ran and ran until I felt the familiar feel of the forest. 

The calm, peaceful forest.

I kept running, and before I knew it, I was in a part of the forest that felt familiar.

James' underground hideaway.

I didn't think, I just grabbed the special branch and stepped into the tree. I closed it behind me, lit a torch, and started down the steps.

I threw the torch into the fire and settled into one of the comfy chairs.

The minutes blurred together, and I had no idea how long I sat there, just staring at the crackling fire.

Suddenly I heard a noise from above.  I grabbed a sword from behind the books on the bookshelf and ran to the stairs, hiding in the shadows.  

I heard footsteps coming closer.  Before I could see who it was, I jumped out and pointed the sword at the newcomer's throat.

"Lily!" a voice exclaimed.

"James?" I asked, lowering the sword. "How did you know I was here?"

"I had a feeling," he replied with a smirk.  When I didn't return his smile he continued. "I was really worried about you--"

"I can handle myself," I interrupted.

"But you're hurt! And some of The Jackal's men got away--including The Jackal himself."

"What!?" I exploded. "They got away!?"

"I had to get you to a physician and--"

"It doesn't matter if I was hurt! You should have made sure The Jackal was locked up before you saved me. Do you understand how dangerous he is?" My face was red and tears were streaming down my face.  I fell to my knees and covered my face with my hands. "I thought we had him...I thought finally it was over. That, he was finally locked away for life..." I wiped away the tears.  

James sat down beside me and put an arm around my shoulder.

"We'll get them," he whispered. "I promise."

I buried my head into his shoulder and cried so hard my sides hurt.

It was a funny thing.  Laughing can have the same effect.

But I wasn't laughing.

And it wasn't funny.

I stood up and wiped the tears away. 

I couldn't delay it any longer.

I had to go back home.

I started up the stairs.

"Where are you going?" James asked.

"My step-mother is probably worried," I replied. "I should get home."

I knew it wasn't true.  She would be mad, not worried.  She didn't truly care about me like my father had.

"I'll see you at school," I said.  

But I knew I wouldn't.

I couldn't go back to school.

Not after all that had happened. 

A/N So sorry I haven't posted in a while! I've been really busy recording this weekend! I also started a collaboration with KoTLCPotter9! 

https://www.wattpad.com/story/258049100-siblings-sokeefe-story

Okay, I'm not sure if that worked but that should be the link to the story. Go check it out! Thanks for reading!

Ciao,

SiSi

Edit: I went to check and I realized the link didn't show, and you can't copy paste on Wattpad. 

So.

Go check out KoTLCPotter9 and then her book! Thanks!

Ciao (again),

SiSi