Chapter 32: Whose plan?

"How long have we been in here?" James asked after what seemed like another few hours had passed.

"Who knows?" I returned. "There are no windows in here. But they are probably going to leave soon. If the king was going to let us out, he would have done it already."

"I guess you're right," he replied. "I wonder if they'll let us out for the ball--"

"If they let us out for the ball, I'm going after them."

"You'll be too late!" 

"How can I go to a ball, when capturing The Jackal is on the line?"

"Lily, please. You deserve to have fun. I'm sure they'll be back by the time the ball begins."

"I hope you're right."

But a few more hours passed, and no one came.

"How long are they going to keep us in here?" I asked James.

Suddenly the door clicked and then swung open.  Queen Mary stood in the doorway. "Come with me, darling. Greta's going to get you ready for the ball," she said. 

"Has the king left?" I asked, rising to my feet.

The queen nodded.

I followed her out, and she led me to the same room as the night before.

"I'll send Greta in," she told me and then left.

Once her footsteps had faded, I rushed out of the bedroom and looked back and forth.  

There were no guards in sight.  

I ran down the hall and looked around the corner.  There were two guards stationed there.  I stayed close to the wall and inched toward the curtains.  When one of the guards looked my way, I slipped under the fabrics.  I peeked out and saw that he had turned away.  The other guard started patrolling in my direction.  I stayed still and waited for him to pass before sprinting to the door closest to me.  I kept it open a crack and waited for both guards to turn away.  Then I ran toward the next hallway.  There were two more guards and I quickly slipped into one of the rooms.  

I was so focused on watching the guards that I didn't notice the person behind me.

"Hiding from the maid or the dress?" James asked.  

I jumped and whipped around.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned.

"This is my room," he replied.  

"Oh my goodness," I said under my breath.  

"Hey, don't beat yourself up about it. I won't tell, as long as you take me with you."

"Fine, but you have to follow me exactly."

He nodded.  I turned and peeked out of the door.  The guards were turned away, so I rushed out of the room and into the next hall.  I was nearly caught by the next two guards, but managed to slip under a table without being seen.  James just made it in next to me.  

I waited for the boots to pass before sprinting into a door at the end of the hallway.

"We're almost home free," I whispered.  James nodded.  

I slipped out of the room and rushed behind a large statue.  James hid behind the one next to me.  

I rushed into another room, and then another before I saw the door that led outside at the end of the extra long hallway.

I opened the door to sprint toward it, but suddenly heard a voice behind me.

"Stop!" they said.