Chapter 30: You Will Never Win

"We have to tell your father," I said.

"But we're not even sure if what we heard was what we thought--" James began.

"What do you mean?" I interrupted. "The man told him to do his part, to get a reward. Then he said that the king doesn't suspect a thing. And now they are going to try to get rid of me!"

"You don't know that for sure--"

"Yes, I do James. And the king needs to know."

"Lily, we're talking about the king's closest adviser. The man he trusts the most--even more than his own son!"

"So we're betting hundreds of lives and The Jackal winning on a man the king says is trustworthy?"

"He is the king. He is wise and always does the best thing for his people."

"You're just as brainwashed as the history teacher," I said. "You've been fed lies all your life. I just can't believe you still believe them."

With that I left the room.

I needed to find the king.

Someone had to warn him.

I walked down the halls until I stoped to ask a guard where the king was.

"He is in the throne room, miss," he replied.

I ran in the direction of the throne room until I ran into a tall, skinny blonde.

"What are you doing here, Amber?" I questioned. 

"I practically live here," she answered smugly. "My father is the king's advisor, remember?" She gave me a smirk. "Where's your father? Tending to the fields?"

I bit my lip. "No," I replied. "He's dead." Then I pushed past her and continued to the throne room.

"What are you doing?" Amber snapped. "You don't have a meeting scheduled with the king."

She almost sounded...worried.

I turned back to face her. "So?" I questioned. 

"So?" she shot back. "He's the king!"

"And I'm Crossbow. I don't listen to snobby adviser's daughters." I was so tempted to say her father was a traitor, but I held my tongue.

She narrowed her eyes at me, but when I turned back toward the throne room door, she ran to catch up with me. "Wait!" she called. "He's in a meeting--" 

I cut her off as I pushed the doors open.

I scowled when I saw Royal Adviser Matthias speaking with the king.

"Crossbow? What are you doing here?" King Henry asked.

I curtsied and then spoke. "I have come to speak with you...about tonight."

"Matthias has full clearance on this mission," the king replied.

"I am fully aware of that, your majesty," I answered.

"You may tell me with him here," King Henry prompted.

"I understand," I said. "But I'd rather wait until you are done." I put my hands behind my back.

"I will fill you in afterward," the king told his adviser.  "I believe Crossbow wishes to speak to me in private," the king continued when Matthias didn't make any move to leave.

The adviser nodded and said, "Of course." But before he left, he shot me a warning look.  And that was all I needed to confirm my suspicions.  

My instincts had kicked in.

I curtsied again after Matthias had left and walked toward the throne.

I decided to cut strait to the case. "Sir, I have reason to believe that there is a traitor in the palace," I said, my head bowed respectfully.

"And what is it that makes you believe this?"

"I heard you royal adviser speaking to another man in your office."

"And?"

"They were talking about the prisoner, and a reward for Matthias 'doing his part'. Then Matthias told the man that you didn't suspect a thing."

"Are you accusing my adviser of being a traitor?" the king questioned.

"Yes, but--"

"I don't want to hear it. I trust Matthias more than anyone in the kingdom."

"If you would just listen--"

"No, Crossbow. You have crossed the line."

"Please, sir..." I began, taking a step forward with my hand out.

"Enough!" the king boomed.

"But--"

"Father!" James exclaimed behind me.  

I whipped around to face him, and he gave me a reassuring smile.

"Listen and don't be foolish!" James continued.

"I am not foolish, son," King Henry answered, rising from his throne. "But you both have gone too far. Guards! Take them away and lock them into one of the rooms."

"No!" James exclaimed desperately. "Father! Please..." But the guards had already come and started to take us away.  

"Your majesty!" I screamed, struggling against the strong men.  I managed to twist away and run forward.  Suddenly someone pulled me back and held me in the air.  I thrashed and screamed desperately--but to no avail.  

Finally, I stopped. "You will never win, King Henry. Not until you put your ego aside and learn to listen, because your people are wiser than you. They understand pain. Hurt. Hunger...something you have never had to experience." A single tear fell down my face. "But I understand. I understand all of it. Because I have gone through all of them many, many times."

The door slammed in front of me, leaving us in the dark hallway.  

A/N Please comment! Thanks for reading!

Ciao,

SiSi