Chapter 10: Barren the Bald

I ran into a few thieves trying to steal from a woman and her child.  I quickly pulled my black cloak over my head and whipped out my sword.  I could have done this job with one hand tied behind my back, but I wouldn't risk it.  I don't overestimate my strength.

Ever. 

I tied the men up and left getting the authorities to the woman.  I raced away before anyone saw me.  I went straight home so step-mother wouldn't yell at me.  I rushed up to my bedroom, grabbed a book and laid on my bed.  

I probably should have studied, but I just went through the Tale of Unbeatables staring at the pictures.  I smiled when I remembered what James had said about the hero with the shaved head.

Barren the Bald.

There was a picture of him holding up a sword, men fallen all around him.  And of course, he was bald.

A nock on the front door made me jump.  I rushed to answer it.  There, standing in the doorway, was James, holding a package.  He smiled at me, and I was tempted to close the door in his face.  

Instead, I grabbed his wrist and pulled him up to my bedroom.  I put a finger on his lips and shook my head.  I removed it once I had closed and locked my door.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I came to bring you this," he replied holding out the package.  "I noticed that you never seemed to eat breakfast...so..." 

I opened it up.  Inside was a golden ball that smelled delicious.

"It's like bread filled with cream, but the outside is crisp and flaky," he explained. "We usually have it for breakfast, but...you can try it now. I'll bring you another one tomorrow if you like it."

"It smells delicious!" I exclaimed.  I put it down on my table to pull him into a hug.  He tensed at first but then wrapped his arms around my waist.  

Ugh.

I was just making this worst for myself.  

I had to keep reminding myself that we were just going to move again.

I quickly pulled away from the hug.

"I guess I should try it," I said awkwardly.  I picked up the ball and took a bite.  I could barely believe the flavors rushing into my mouth.  It was the richest most wonderful thing I had ever tasted.  I took another bite, savoring the creaming warming me throughout my whole body.

"It's amazing!" I exclaimed.

"I also brought something else for you," James said, reaching into his satchel.  He pulled out a book and handed it to me.  

"The Adventures of Barren the Bald," I read aloud. "Oh my goodness! Where did you get it?"  

James scratched the back of his head. "You know...around."

I was too excited to notice his vague answer. "Thank you so much!"

"I was...hoping...we could, maybe, read it together?" he inquired hesitantly.

"Of course!" I exclaimed.  I pulled him over to the large chair in a far corner of my room and we sat down next to each other.  I opened the book to the first page and started reading out loud.  We had gotten through only a few chapters before my eyes started to droop and my throat felt scratchy.

"Here," James said. "I'll read." He gently took the book from me.  He read with enthusiasm, changing the tone of voice for each character.  Despite this, I still felt myself drifting.  I forced eyes to remain open and my ears to keep listening.  I leaned my head on his shoulder and let out a yawn.  I closed my eyes, promising myself it was only to rest them, but before I knew it I had drifted off to sleep.

The next morning I found myself in my warm bed.  James must have put me there before he left. I just hoped my step-mother hadn't caught him.  I jumped out of bed, pulled on a cloth shirt and pants and raced to the door, just before James nocked.  I grabbed my satchel, screamed to my step-mother and rushed out the door with James.  

He held out a ball wrapped in fabric.  It was still warm.  I excepted it and ate it as we walked.

"So...I was wondering if you wanted to finish the book at the tree," James said.

I really wanted to say yes, but...

"My step-mother likes me home before dark--"

"I'll bring you back in time. I promise."

I had no excuse now, so I said, "Alright."

"Great! We'll go there after school. I brought the book with me." He patted his satchel.  I smiled and took his hand, walking to school in a comfortable silence.