Chapter 26: He Listens

I didn't go to school the next day.  James had knocked on the door, but I had ignored it.  

I didn't have time for school.  I needed the whole day to plan.

Step-mother.  If only she knew who was coming to her house every day.   She would flip.

The ship would arrive around sunset.  The Jackal would probably attack thirty minutes before, when the ship was far enough from shore.  That would mean I needed a boat.

I sighed.

James could have gotten me a boat.  But he would never disobey his father.  I would have to get a boat from somewhere else.

I decided to take a walk through the forest.  That's where I usually solved the toughest of problems.

I was thinking about how bad it would be to steal a boat, when I ran into something solid.  At first I thought it was a tree, but when I looked up I saw James staring down at me.

I groaned, turning around and walking away from him.

"Lily, wait!" he called after me.

I kept walking.

"Please! I talked to my father and he listened," he continued. "He decided to look into the ship coming in from Cassandora, and he saw that there is going to be a prisoner on that ship."

"I told you," I mumbled, quickening my pace.  He jogged to keep up with me.

"He's taking a chance with you," James said. "He agreed to use your idea."

"I'm honored," I replied sarcastically.

"He'll supply you with anything you need. He's also requested audience with you."

"When?" I asked.

"As soon as possible. He wishes to be prepared."

"I guess we'll go now," I replied.

James smiled and lead me in the opposite direction. 

King Henry was in the throne room, seated on the highest, fanciest chair I had ever seen.  The crown on his head was larger than the bucket of water I used to wash in.

His wife sat in the chair next to him, her attire similar in riches.  I could tell most of James' features had come from her.  She had golden eyes and golden hair, but she was petite and much smaller than her husband and son.

"You should curtsy," James whispered to me.

If I hadn't needed that boat so badly I would have run out of there right now.  

Curtsy?  

Did I even know how?

I bent my knees and dropped into the most ungraceful curtsy.  

Yes, I could take down five men twice my size with one hand tied behind my back, but curtsy?  I was lucky I didn't fall over.

"Thank you for coming, Miss Petronelladaughter," the king said.

"Thank you for having me," I replied politely.  

I nearly vomited inside.  It was a miracle I was keeping myself together so well.

"I have spoken to my son, and I have decided that we will consider your idea," the king said.

"Do I explain it to him?" I whispered to James.

"You have to walk closer and kneel in front of the throne," James whispered back.

"Do I have to?" I hissed.