Chapter 17: Surviver

The darkness surrounding me felt different.

More...hollow.

Was I dead?

No, I couldn't be.

The pain was too real.

But then...

Where was I?

There were voices flying through the air around me, but they seemed so very far away.  I tried to understand them, but it wasn't possible.  They were too far from the deep, empty darkness.

For some reason I couldn't feel any pain, but I still knew it was there.  

Somehow.

I felt someone's presence, and then a comforting squeeze in what I thought was my hand.

But I couldn't tell.

Everything felt disconnected.

I tried to open my eyes, but I couldn't control them.  

I couldn't control anything.

It was like I didn't have enough strength.

I only had enough to give the hand intertwined in mine a small squeeze to show that I was alive. And I truly was.

I knew I was.

And I felt myself coming back together--my strength slowly returning to me.

The feeling gave me a comforting warmth, and I fell back asleep.

When I woke up, I felt stronger.  Strong enough to open one of my eyes.

My vision was blurry, but I couldn't mistake the tear-stained figure in front of me.

"James?" my croaky voice asked.

His head snapped toward me, and I saw his lips perk up into a smile.

"You're awake!" he exclaimed.  But it looked like he wanted to say, 'You're alive!'

"You can't get rid of me that easily," I teased, giving him the biggest smile my limited strength would allow me.

A man I didn't recognize appeared in my line of vision.

"Lily, don't talk. Your body isn't ready," the man said. "Just go back to sleep, okay?"

I gave him a tiny nod and closed my eyes again.

I surrendered to the hard pull of unconsciousness. 

When I finally roused, I had a pounding headache.  

It throbbed in between my temples like a beating drum of pain.  I groaned audibly.  Suddenly the bed shifted and someone grabbed my hand.

"Drink this," a voice said, and then a cold bottle was held to my lips.  

I allowed it to slip down my throat.  My stomach growled in protest.  I let out another groan.  

"Don't worry," the same voice said. "I'm here."

I smiled as the words filled my body with hope.

I'm here.

Those words filled my dreams with a gentle peacefulness.

When my body wanted to wake up again, I pushed against the feeling.  

I wanted to stay here.

Where everything was peaceful fluffy unicorns and rainbows.

But sometimes life didn't give you what you wanted.