Chapter 41- Self-Defense, Again?:

The next school day we had PE. I changed into my uniform next to Ymir in the locker room. She avoided eye-contact with me, biting the inside of her cheek. Seems like I won't be hearing any more about Jean anytime soon.

All of the girls walked out and lined up outside the gym. Moments later the boys and Shadis walked in. Most of us were dressed in sweatpants and a sweatshirts to protect from the cold. The sky was gray and cloudy, and a thin veil of mist hung in the air.

"Students!" Shadis announced, "Some of you might remember doing self-defense practice at the beginning of this year—" The class groaned.

That was when I officially met Eren: after he and Jean got into a fight, I remembered. I looked longingly over at Jean: he was tall, despite his lax stance, and lean. He ran his fingers through his brown hair, focusing intensely on Shadis. I sighed, then turned my attention back to Shadis as well.

"— For your final exam, you need to show that you've retained these self-defense skills during the five months I've neglected to teach you about them."

Another groan from the class. Shadis ignored us and put everyone into pairs. I crossed my fingers that I'd be with Jean. Of course, it would be awkward, but I'd do anything to touch him again. I know that sounds weird, but you get addicted to the ginger and rum smell after awhile.

Instead, I was partnered with Eren.

Not the worst option, I thought. However, I wanted to rid myself of my feelings for Eren as soon as possible, so I could be 100% invested in Jean. That was how relationships were supposed to work. Of course, if I have Eren right up next to me for the next hour, it's going to be difficult to repress these feelings.

Eren and I walked to our small rectangle where we would be fighting. He squinted up at the gloomy sky, covered with clouds. A gust of cold air brushed his hair to the side.

"I have a feeling it'll be too hot for this," Eren said, grabbing his hoodie. He pulled off his navy-blue sweatshirt— the one he wore everywhere— and threw it outside of the rectangle we were supposed to fight in. He spun the wooden knife in between his fingers. "Do you wanna attack first?" he asked, looking up energetically.

I nodded and took the knife from his hand, fixing my posture so I could strike him quickly. I pulled my gaze away from his and focused on his chest, which was the easiest spot to hit. I pushed off of my back foot and jammed my hand forward, expecting the knife to land where I had aimed. Eren reacted quickly, stepping to the side and grabbing my arm to stop me from hitting him.

My arm hung in the air. His grip was firm, but I refused to let go of the knife and admit defeat. He looked at me smugly, the left corner of his lip tilted up. That irritated me. I thought as quickly as I could, and was struck by a wave of flashbacks from the beginning of the year. I remembered Annie's kicking technique; I had used it on Eren in the infirmary after his fight with Jean and it worked then, so perhaps it'd work now too.

Eren still had that stupid smirk on his face. I kicked my right foot out to flip him off of his feet. It worked, partially. Eren fell over, but, unfortunately, he did't let go of my arm, so I fell right with him. He was lying on his back holding tightly onto my right arm, while I was sitting up. I snatched Eren's wrist with my left hand and twisted it backwards.

"Agh!" He flinched and was forced to let go of my arm. I jumped back on my feet and out of his reach. Eren got up slowly, rubbing his wrist. His dark hair was frizzed up and his face glistened with a thin layer of sweat. His expression never changed, though. It was still that irritating smirk.