Chapter 6: Flight to Paris

Chapter 6: The Flight to Paris

Three days had passed since my birthday and I was quite busy after it. I was busy preparing for my first flight which is tomorrow. I can't wait to board a plane! I've been longing to go on a trip for a long time and I'm almost there. I wonder what waits for me in the places I will be visiting. I remembered my promise to Dimitri, to see the world for him. I'm getting closer to fulfilling his wish. We both have been dreaming of it for a long time.

I was checking through my luggage if I was able to pack everything I needed for the trip when Dad knocked on the door. I opened the door and he went inside.

"I guess you're ready. All packed up for the trip," he said when he saw my luggage. He looked around and sat at the chair near my dresser.

I smiled at him and said, "I guess so."

"I will miss you, sweetie," he said as he pretended to cough a little. I know that he is anxious about this because this is the first time that he will be letting me go out on my own in foreign countries.

I understand his worries. I sighed and assured him, "Dad, I know that it's still hard for you to let me go on my own but you have to trust me on this one."

I know that Dad is still worried about me, especially now that Dimitri's gone. He is usually the one looking after me. Dad also knew that I am still affected by what happened. He and I had a conversation last night and he told me that he wanted me to go on a trip so that I can find myself again. I can see in his eyes that he is scared to let me go on a trip on my own, especially that no one will be looking after me. Dad has been really protective since Mom's death. I guess he's hesitating if I should go for the tour.

"Are you sure that you're okay on your own?" he asked with full concern. "Maybe I should let Sophia go with you," he added. I can hear the concern in his voice.

I held Dad's hand and told him, "Dad, it is okay. I promise that everything will be fine. Don't worry too much about me."

"Okay," he sighed. "But you have to promise me that you'll call me as soon as you get there."

"Okay," I promised him.

"I will miss you, Dad," I said and hugged him again.

"I'll miss you too," he told me as he shyly wiped his tears. "Take care of yourself there, Kath."

Suddenly, we heard footsteps from the stairs and a knock on the door. It was Henri, our driver. He informed us that the car is ready outside. Almost everyone in the household is considered family which is why we are very close to almost everyone who has been serving us since Dad and Mom got married. Henri is like an uncle to me. He didn't get married nor have children. He has dedicated his life serving as our driver, and in fact, he is the oldest employee in our household.

"Mr. Dupree, the car is ready," Henri told us. I nodded at him and smiled as Dad ordered him to help me with my luggage.

"Henri, will you please carry Kath's luggage to the car?" Dad ordered. Henri nodded and carried my luggage out of the room. "We will meet you in the car," he added.

"C'mon now you don't want to be late for your first flight," Dad said. So, I grabbed my coat and followed Dad and Henri downstairs. I took another glance at my room as I realized that I will be away for a while. I caught a glimpse of the photographs hanging on the wall. Those were field trip memories with Dimitri through the years. We never missed school field trips. A sudden feeling of guilt started to kick in and the sad thought of me traveling alone makes me miss my best friend even more.

We left the house at 8 a.m. sharp. My flight to Paris is at 10 a.m. Henri drove us to the airport. Dad can't escort me to the boarding area since he is already late for his meeting. Before I left, I kissed him on the cheek and said goodbye. The goodbye almost took us a minute. We got interrupted when we heard the announcement that the plane to Paris is now boarding. I immediately left the car and took one last glance at it. I saw Dad waved goodbye and after that, the car was gone. It's on its way to Dad's work. I'm now on my own.

I boarded the plane at 9:30 a.m. and it took off at exactly 10 a.m. I will be on the plane for 7 hours and 16 minutes. Looks like it's going to be a long ride.