Chapter 12: Sad Departure

It's raining hard again. I have no choice but to wait for the rain to stop. I can't believe that my last day in Paris would turn out like this. I'm soaking wet and alone. Most of the people walking in the streets decided to stay under the Eiffel Tower for a while for shelter and I did the same.

It's almost 9 in the evening and the rain isn't stopping. Most of the people who took shelter at Eiffel went home already. Some were picked up by cars but some took the cab. I was about to take the cab but it seems to me that the cab drivers are very choosy. They only prefer 2–3 passengers. I am alone. I've been standing here for 2 hours already and not a single cab wants to take me to the hotel.

I gave up thinking that I will be able to go home tonight. The rain seems to pour non-stop. I'm cold and shivering. I decided to stay in the nearest café to let myself be warm and for a coffee. No one let me in since I'm soaking wet. I have no way of comforting myself in this rain. I'm miserable. Les Miserables, I thought. I looked around and saw that most of the cafes and restaurants are already closing. You see, Eiffel Tower isn't only a tower and a famous landmark. It also has mini stores, souvenir shops, restaurants, and cafes.

I saw an old man smoking outside a nearby café as if observing everyone passing by as stores, restaurants, and cafes started to close. He suddenly glanced at where I was and walked towards me. As he came nearer, I suddenly recognized him. He was one of those who attended the anniversary at Charlie's. He looked at me and his eyebrows met. He seemed to recognize me as well. He finally said, "Katherine?"

I was shivering in the cold. I responded with a shivering tone as I tried to recall his name.

"Heavens, child!" he exclaimed. "You're soaking wet! Come inside the café."

"Marie! Marie!" he called. Suddenly, a girl about my age went out of the café and helped us. She brought an umbrella and wrapped me in a towel. I was shivering. I can't even feel my feet.

Finally, we're inside the café. It's still open but the only ones inside were an old man, his wife, and the girl who helped us. It was warm, clean, and I could smell the coffee. I like the ambience of the café. The girl let me sit at the nearest chair and the old man's wife served me a cup of hot coffee. I drank the coffee as the old man put a blanket around me.

"Make yourself feel at home," said the old man.

"Thank you, ah sir–" I said but I forgot his name. I do not know how to address him so I was a little embarrassed.

"Oh, I forgot. I didn't get the chance to introduce myself at the party," he laughed. "Hugh Neveu."

Hugh Neveu, he sounds familiar. I can't remember much but it seems to me that it brings me back to childhood. "I was your grandfather's colleague. I visited him once at Hamptons and you were very young then. You're about 3 or 4 years old. I doubt you recognized me even at the party," he said.

"I'm sorry I didn't recognize you," I shyly apologized to him. It was embarrassing that I didn't recognize him. It was really a long time ago and I really don't remember. If grandpa was here, what would he say to me?

"I don't blame you for not recognizing me. Why do you Filipinos make it a big deal? Although, I really appreciate the politeness and respect you have for elders. It is okay, Katherine," he said kindly, assuring me as he gave me a warm smile. It seems like he was also well-oriented of our Filipino culture. I guess I got that from my mom. Mom raised me more with the Filipino culture and beliefs. I also know few Filipino words but since I was born in New York, I grew up adopting the Western lifestyle. I never even got the chance to see my mom's country yet. Maybe, I should plan on visiting it on my next trip.