Chapter 4: Passport to Europe

The graduation ceremony ended exactly at 6 p.m. Wow! The ceremony consumed 3 hours of our time. I have to admit, graduation ceremonies are the most boring events I've ever attended. It only gets exciting when you're called on the stage. Suddenly, a random thought popped inside my head. I wonder if our graduation ceremony is like those in the movies such as High School Musical and Glee. Maybe it would be more exciting.

"Congratulations, Hamptons Senior High Batch 2012!" the principal finally said, concluding the graduation ceremony. Parents and relatives on the bleachers stood up and clapped their hands as we tossed our graduation caps in the air. The crowd went wild.

At last! We finally graduated high school. Mixed emotions arose once again. I can't believe this is happening. Things are happening too fast. I don't want it to end just yet.

"Katherine!" Melanie shouted. In this crowd, we finally found each other. We didn't get the chance to talk with each other earlier.

When I saw her, I hugged her and said, "Melanie! Where were you earlier? I was looking for you before the ceremony."

"I left my graduation toga and cap in the car so I rushed back to the parking lot. Unfortunately, I had a hard time looking for the car," she replied. I looked at her toga and noticed that her toga was a little creased.

"Oh, that explains the crease," I joked. She looked at her toga, then we both laughed.

After the joke, we took our togas and caps off. Melanie looked at me in awe and said, "OMG! Is that you Katherine? You look gorgeous and amazing! I'm not used to compliments. I would have probably blushed. I don't know what to say.

When Melanie took off her toga, I noticed that she looked good as well. She's stunning in her red dress. She reminds me of Taylor Swift. She's the perfect Taylor Swift twin, blonde hair and red lips in a stunning red dress.

"You look gorgeous and amazing as well my friend," I complimented. She just smiled. We had a short conversation and shared a few laughs and then headed back to the covered court where a batch farewell party will be held as a tribute of the school to the graduates.

The batch farewell party was well, uhmmm, okay. I guess. I'm not used to parties. All seemed to have had the time of their lives while I was outside at the gazebo the whole time. I'm not in the mood for a party. I miss Dimitri. His loss was still painful. His memories keep on haunting me. I spent the whole time alone at the gazebo. I don't care what other people think about me. I know I look stupid just sitting there.

Meanwhile, I heard footsteps. I turned around and saw Charlie Reagan approaching me. Charlie is my co-writer at The Today's Publication. He and I have been good friends but we rarely talk. We only talk about things happening in school and about the things to do at The Today's Publication. Although, I can remember a few quiet encounters with him where he helped me when there was no else there. I can best recall him lending me his umbrella one rainy afternoon while he charged into the pouring rain himself. I suddenly remember I still haven't returned that umbrella to him.

"Hi, Katherine," he greeted as he walked towards me.

I smiled at him and said, "Hi, Charlie."

"Can I join you?" he asked.

I hesitated at first but I didn't want to be rude. "Sure," I replied. He sat down beside me and looked at the stars.

"It's a beautiful night, isn't it?" he asked.

I sighed. I remembered Dimitri again. He and I used to go out for an hour drive to Central Park for stargazing and he would ask me the same question.