Chapter 11: Last Day in Paris

After the fireworks display, Charlie's grandparents said a few words and thanked the guests who have arrived and have been part of the celebration of their anniversary. As they made their closing remarks, Charlie and I sneaked out of the room to avoid more questions from their relatives regarding our relationship status. It seems that they're not yet satisfied with our stories, they wanted to hear more. Charlie preferred to leave early since his relatives are starting to annoy him. I agreed with his plan of leaving since I'm not comfortable staying any longer there. Since his grandparents are quite busy entertaining the guest, he just asked his sister to tell them that we already left for some reason.

It's been a long night and I'm so tired, I think that I had somehow fallen asleep in the car on our way back to the hotel I'm staying in. Charlie accompanied me on my way to my room. I guess he knew that I'm exhausted and I'm ready to drop. We were at the elevator when he said, "I told you we will not get caught."

I looked at him and he was smiling proudly. I smiled and just said, "I guess, I'm not a bad liar after all."

When the elevator door opened as we reached the 5th floor, we went out and headed to my room. When we reached my room, he finally said, "Merci, je n'avais merveilleuse soirée." (In English it means, Thank you, I had a wonderful evening.)

I told him the same thing but not in French but in English, "Thank you too. I also had a wonderful evening, Charlie." I gave him a smile and he smiled back. His smile is beautiful, so gentle and kind. It was only now that I noticed it. He walked closer to where I was standing and did something that surprised me. He kissed me on the cheek. He immediately turned his back and walked towards the door. I was speechless for a moment and just stared at him until he reached the door. His hands were in his pockets while walking and just right before he left he turned back and said to me in a soft gentle voice, "Au revoir."

I didn't say a word. I don't know how to react but I can feel that my body is reacting to it right now. I might be blushing. I rushed to the bathroom and looked at my face, my face was red. I tried to calm down. Why am I even blushing? I don't like Charlie and I definitely don't have feelings for him. Why should I be flattered, this is still part of the act right? I should get used to it. It's what couples do right? But...We're alone here. We're not pretending anymore. Why did he even... Why am I... I should stop this right now. It might be just a friendly kiss. I should not misinterpret it for something else.

For an hour, I kept thinking about what had happened. Right after I changed clothes and took a bath, I jumped on the bed and tried to close my eyes. I'm exhausted and it's almost 3 in the morning, I still can't sleep and can't think right. I found myself staring at the ceiling. I can still feel how his soft lips touched my cheek and how gentle that kiss was. This is not happening. I'm not falling for him. Am I?

It's already 10 in the morning when I finally woke up. I slept really late last night. I checked my phone. Oh my god!! 10 unread messages and 5 missed calls all from Charlie. I read the unread messages. It all has the same message.

Meet you at the lobby by 11 a.m. – Charlie

Why does he want me to meet him in the lobby? What game is he trying to play here? The deal is done. We played the act and he showed me around Paris. What is he planning now? Just when I was about to text him back, another unread message popped.

Hurry up and get dressed. I'll wait for you in the lobby. 11 a.m. sharp. Something's up. – Charlie

Something is up? What could it be? Is it the act? Are we caught red-handed? I felt nervous. I was about to ask what's going on when I checked the time. Oh my god!! It's 10:30 a.m.! I only have 30 minutes to get ready. I know that waiting keeps him annoyed. I have to move fast. I have no time to eat breakfast.