Chapter 9: The Show Has Began

Charlie and I walked our way to the Museum of Natural History. It is not that far from the restaurant where we ate our lunch. He was right, I liked the Museum of Natural History better. Well, I am more fascinated in History than Art. We discussed as we walked through the exhibits at the museum. I ended up having a debate with Charlie regarding information about the exhibit that we don't mutually agree on. I lost the debate to him since he was able to show me proof that what I thought was wrong.

It was around 3 in the afternoon when we left the Museum of Natural History of Paris. Charlie walked me back to the hotel since it is part of our agreement. As we walked our way, he kept on glancing at me. It really bothers me. Whenever I catch him looking back, he pretends as if he's looking somewhere else. This is weird. We're quiet again. Earlier, we were arguing and very loud to the point that the museum curator got furious and told us to be quiet. But now, it was as if someone just died. Died. The face of Dimitri flashed back in my mind again. It made me feel uneasy. Just having that thought made my stomach churn. I am here in Paris, how could I think of it here? I am here to forget the accident but it seems to me that the memories of the accident keep on haunting me.

"Hey, are you okay?" Charlie finally asked, breaking the silence between us. He might have noticed that there is something bothering me as he was looking right through my eyes. "Is something bothering you? Look about earlier-––"

He didn't finish what he was about to say and held my hand. I immediately removed my hand from his. I don't know what's going on right now.

"Kath, I'm sorry. I didn't mean for us to argue earlier nor do I want for us to get embarrassed," he apologized. I was still silent and he let me be. We continued walking.

It took me time to say something after he apologized. "Charlie, it's not that," I said to him.

He gave me a curious look and asked again, "Then, what is it? What is bothering you? You've been quiet since we left the museum."

I took a deep breath, sighed and apologized to him, "I'm so sorry, Charlie. I'm just exhausted." Okay, the explanation isn't quite true. I really need someone to talk to but I don't think that Charlie is the right person whom I should be talking to right now. Besides, Charlie is just an acquaintance not like Melanie and Dimitri who are my best friends or Sophia who is my closest cousin.

Charlie stopped walking and looked at me. "You know you can tell me anything. Just bear in mind that I'm not just an acquaintance. I can be your friend."

I was taken aback. It was as if he could read my mind. I pretended not to mind. "Charlie, thank you." That's all I have said. I'm lost in his words. He reminds me more of Dimitri. He used to say the same thing to me. Only the word Dimitri used was not "acquaintance" but "friend" and that we can be "more than friends."

When we arrived at the hotel, "Shall we call it a day?" Charlie asked.

"Yes," I said and smiled a little even though my thoughts were bothering me. "Thank you for the tour, Charlie."

"No problem," he said. "You should rest. You're probably exhausted, considering that I won the debate," he added boasting, then he gave me a sly look that made me irritated all of the sudden.

"You only won because I finally gave up after you used your phone and searched in Google. I can find better proof if I brought with me my phone," I told him sarcastically.

After that, Charlie finally dropped the subject about our debate. He knew that the debate would be longer if he continued. Right before he left, he gave me a reminder.