Chapter 19: Mending Friendship

Inside the plane, I was seated next to Charlie. There were moments of awkwardness but I didn't let it show.

"Look at this," said Charlie, pointing at the clouds. I moved near the window to look at it. "Pretty, huh?"

"Yeah."

"Want to change seats?"

"It's okay. I'm fine here."

Then, the conversation drifted. Charlie didn't let it pass and made a direct point.

"Why am I here?" he asked me.

"I am supposed to be the one asking you that," I told him.

"What I mean is, why do you want me to be with you?"

"I already told you, haven't I?"

"Seriously, Kath. Tell me."

"I want to bring back the friendship we had."

"That's it?"

"I want to spend this last adventure with you."

"Why?"

"You were there for me from the start."

"And?"

"I might have done the same for you."

We were both quiet for the next 30 minutes. I spent time reading as Charlie spent his time sleeping. Once the plane touched down, we were escorted by the tourist guide to a bus. As I look around, I can feel the summer breeze again. The Parthenon at the acropolis is overlooking. It's beautiful. I was speechless for a while. I can't believe that we're in Greece. This it, the last adventure.

"Last adventure," I said.

In the bus, there were 15 of us. The tour guide gave us her instructions for tomorrow's tour and activities. She handed out her itinerary. Meanwhile, we arrived at the hotel. The tour guide escorted us to our rooms. I was first escorted to my room before Charlie. Charlie's room is just two doors next to mine. The others were escorted as well.

At 7 p.m., we all gathered at the hotel's restaurant for dinner where they served a buffet. There we ate and after that, some went back to their rooms. Charlie and I were the ones left in the restaurant.

"Care to join me?" Charlie asked. "I want to go out for a while."

"Sure," I told him.

We left the hotel and went for a walk. The street is wet from the rain. We saw a coffee shop and stayed there for a while. We ordered coffee and we had a few conversations. I am happy that somehow our friendship is slowly mending. I am not expecting Charlie to forgive me. But I want to mend what was broken. Friendship.

There, I asked Charlie all that I wanted to know. I asked Ethan before I left but he wanted me to know it from Charlie not him so I asked him. I've learned that Charlie was following me around since I left Paris. He knew Ethan was in Italy and asked help by looking for me. Either way, Ethan didn't betray me. Charlie admitted that he forced Ethan to help him. That was after Ethan knew that I was related to Aunt Bea and the one he is looking for. According to Charlie, Ethan became like a protective brother and decided to withdraw from helping. The day where we crossed paths again, that was not part of the plan anymore.

After that, we went out for a walk in the moonlight on our way home. The hotel is not that far from the coffee shop. The acropolis is overlooking from where we are. It's beautiful. It has night lights and the ruins of the Parthenon stand out. I stopped for a while and stared at the Parthenon from afar. We took that moment to enjoy the beautiful evening and appreciate the beauty of the acropolis.

"Thank you," I told Charlie.

He looked at me and asked, "For what?"

I don't know how I will answer. There are many things that I am thankful for.

"For being here, for being there for me even though I keep on pushing you away..." I stopped explaining and sighed. I can't look at him. I don't know how to explain it.

"No need to be thankful for that."

"What do you mean?"

"What I mean is you don't have to thank me."

"Why?"

He didn't answer back. He was looking at the stars. I did too. I taught Charlie some of the constellations. We tried to look for shooting stars but no luck.

"There are millions of stars in the night sky, we are one in a million. But there is that one in the million that I fell for."

"Huh?"

Suddenly a streak of line flashed in the night sky, and then it's gone. It's a shooting star.

When we got back to the hotel, Charlie escorted me back to my room.

"Goodnight," he told me as I opened the door to my room.

"Goodnight," I told him back. He smiled and went to his room.

I am happy with the thought that somehow our friendship is mending. I am happy that Charlie is here and I am happy that I will get to spend my last adventure with him.