Chapter 20: The Last Adventure

Our schedule says that we will be touring around Athens today, and then go island hopping in the next few days. We have a tight schedule so we are up early. Greece is very interesting. Aside from the fact that they have interesting culture and history, it has pieces of history everywhere you go. The ruins are rich in stories of the past and mythology. One thing that Greece is known for is for the stories of gods and goddesses, Greek Mythology.

We went sightseeing to different tourist spots like the Cape of Sounion, Temple of Poseidon, National Archeological Museum, New Acropolis Museum, Lycabettus Hill, and of course, the Acropolis.

We first visited the Cape of Sounion and the temple of Poseidon. There we were able to feel a classically Greek moment against the ruined monument along with a terrific sea view. Charlie and I were fascinated with the things we saw at the National Archeological Museum. It has an extensive collection of preserved Greek artifacts.

After lunch, we went up the Lycabettus Hill via a tubular funicular rail car. It was a one of a kind experience. In the afternoon, the tour guide let us wander off at the Plaka. The Plaka is an area of winding streets around the acropolis. It has small shops, restaurants, and Charlie and I went for a frappe. In this hot weather, we need something cold. We walked around the streets and visited some of the souvenir shops.

"Do you think Stella will like this?" asked Charlie.

I can't help not to laugh. He was wearing a Greek toga. He looks ridiculous but still handsome. His black hair and sea green eyes stand out. "I don't understand why men in ancient Greece wear such a thing," whispered Charlie, trying not to offend the store owner.

Charlie made me try one of the outfits too. I tried a Greek dress. It is a white dress with plunging neckline and has gold details. It is embarrassing. I never wore something daring.

"What do you think?" I shyly asked him.

"My god!!" he exclaimed. "You look like a goddess!"

I started laughing as Charlie kneeled and started chanting poetry. I remembered in the bookstore where Charlie recited lines from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and I started teasing him. It was fun being with him. We went store to store for souvenirs. I was able to buy a few things for Dad and my friends at home. Not long after that, we went to the New Acropolis Museum. The tour guide decided to show us the museum first before we visit Parthenon.

The time we went up the hike, Charlie and I got to talk a lot. We were able to know each other well. I found Charlie funny. For a smart and handsome guy like him, I didn't know that he had a good sense of humor. I guess, friendship is mended.

As we hiked up the acropolis, I slipped. Charlie caught my hand and helped me up.

"Careful," he said. And finally, we arrived at the Parthenon. I'm finally here. After all those years of dreaming and looking at it in pictures, I am here and saw it in person. "I'm finally here, Dimitri," I said in my mind. I know he is somewhere and I hope that I was able to fulfill his wish.

"Parthenon," I said with full enthusiasm. "Temple of goddess Athena."

"You know the story of Athens, how it got its name?" I asked Charlie.

"It was named after Athena, goddess of wisdom," Charlie told the story. "Athena and Poseidon both wanted to be patrons of the city. Athena offered the people an olive tree, while Poseidon offered them fresh water from the sea. The people chose Athena and named the city after her."

"And Parthenon was built in her honor," I added. "The people never forgot Poseidon that they also built a temple in his honor. The temple of Poseidon in Cape of Sounion."

"I've always wondered why you are fascinated in these things," said Charlie. "History, Literature, Architecture, Mythology, Art..."

"It is the only piece of Dimitri left in me," I told him sadly. We went silent after that. I shouldn't have said that. We took pictures and listened to the discussion of the tour guide as she showed us around.

After the tour at the acropolis, we went back to the Syntagma Square where our hotel is. It is also known as Constitution Square. It is a large open square and the location of several renowned luxury hotels. It has the parliament building along one side of the square. I was hoping to get into the parliament building but I doubt they'd let me in.

The next few days that followed, we went island hopping. From Athens to Myknoss to Crete to Santorini. It was the same for other islands, sightseeing the whole day and partying at night. Myknoss is where the nightlife is. Most tourists and locals took a boat to cross the seas just to party.

We are now on the island of Santorini. It is the perfect sight for sunset according to the tour guide. We were there at the beach waiting for the sunset. Charlie and I walked at the shoreline. I picked up shells but I couldn't get a good one so I kept tossing them back at the sea.

"Why can't I get a perfect one?" I said annoyingly. "I always get the deformed ones."

Charlie picked a shell and handed it to me.

"Here," he said as he handed it to me.

I looked at the shell. It was just like the same shell I tossed in the sea. It took me seconds to know what he wanted to let me know.

"Thanks," I said. He just smiled. It is almost sunset. Charlie and I sat down with the other tourist. And there we watched the beautiful sunset.

"I hope that I get to spend another day with you," said Charlie. I looked at him. His eyes stared into mine. His sea green eyes are beautiful. I was drowned in his eyes. There is this feeling that I can't explain but I know deep down, I know the answer.

"Me too," I admitted. We were there sitting side by side as we watched the beautiful sunset. My hands on top his. He didn't try to let go. We were quiet for a while as the sun set.

When Charlie finally stood up, he kissed me on the forehead and left me there on the beach. He didn't say one word and for once, he didn't look back.