Chapter 14: Roman Tour

"Katherine, it's time for breakfast! Hurry up! We'll be leaving by 5."

I was startled by Aunt Bea's call. What time is it? Haven't we just eaten dinner? I felt dizzy as I looked around me. The room looks clean but my laptop is on. I must've fallen asleep while I was typing the story.

Is it morning already? I looked outside the window, it still looked dark. It's probably dawn. But seriously, breakfast at this hour? And did I hear it right? We'll be leaving by 5?

I looked at the clock, it's 4 in the morning. I ignored Aunt Bea who's knocking at the door and tried my best to go back to my slumber.

There was another knock on the door but this time it's not just a knock, it kinda sounds like banging. It sounded like someone angry was banging on the door so I decided to open the door.

Aunt Bea is on the door.

"What is it, Aunt Bea?" I asked her.

"Why are you still wearing pajamas?" she asked. "Hurry up and get dressed."

"Why, where are we going at this hour? Can't it wait til morning?" I complained.

"I thought we all agreed that we'll be visiting the Roman Colosseum at 5 a.m.," said Aunt Bea.

Yeah, I forgot. We talked about it during dinner. I guess I was too occupied last night. But how could I forget? It's what I came here for.

"I'm sorry. I slept late last night," I told her. "I'll get dressed. You could wait for me downstairs."

I washed my face, brushed my teeth, and got dressed. I was wearing a simple summer dress and my Converse. I have no time to choose what to wear and the dress is my best option. I hate wearing a dress but I have no choice. It's a little cold outside so I put my denim jacket on and went downstairs.

"About time you got dressed," said Aunt Bea, sounding annoyed for waiting.

"I'm sorry," I apologized to her. I know she doesn't like to be kept waiting.

There's no time for breakfast. They've been waiting for too long. She opened the door. I noticed that Aunt Bea is just the one waiting. I thought Marisse and Uncle James would be going with us.

"Aunt Bea, where's Uncle James and Marisse?" I asked her. "I thought they'll be going with us."

"They're already waiting in the car," she said as she locked the door of the house.

I went to the car and sat at the back with Marisse.

"What took you so long?" she asked.

"I slept late last night," I told her.

Aunt Bea went inside the car and sat next to the driver's seat. Uncle James will be driving us today.

Uncle James handed me a paper bag. "Here, since you haven't eaten breakfast yet," he said.

I opened the paper bag and ate the sandwich and banana they packed for me.

Meanwhile, we arrived at our destination. I was quite sleepy but I tried to keep myself awake. I should have drank coffee before I left.

We got out of the car. It's still dark. I checked my watch it's already 5:15 in the morning.

"Here we are!" said Marisse. "The Roman Colosseum."

I can't believe it's just in front of me! The Roman Colosseum. My reaction was the same when I first saw the Eiffel Tower.

"Am I dreaming this?" I said to myself. "Somebody pinch me."