Chapter 15: Road Trip

It was 7 in the morning when we left Rome. We're on a road trip to Verona where I'll be staying for 2 days. It's my 3rd day in Italy and so far it's been good.

What fine weather we have today. The skies are blue and the clouds are scattered like cotton in the blue sky. It was a perfect day, a perfect day for a road trip. It wasn't so hot and wasn't so cold. There was just the sky, the clouds and the summer breeze.

Uncle James was driving and Aunt Bea was next to him. They tell stories while I listen to my music. Country songs are just perfect for road trips especially those of Taylor Swift's songs. We are still in Rome and we weren't that far. Aunt Bea brought out the map and gave it to me.

"On our way to Verona, we will be passing by a few cities to get there," said Aunt Bea. "Anywhere you want to stop by to look around?"

I looked at the map and said, "Let's see..."

From Rome, we can take the route to Pisa. It seems near from where we are and besides, I wanted to see the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa.

"How about we take the route to Pisa?" I suggested. "I want to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa."

"Excellent suggestion, Kath," said Uncle James. "To Pisa, here we come."

It was already, I guess, 30 minutes but we are still not there. No sign of the Tower of Pisa anywhere. Did we take the right route?

"Exactly, how long is it going to be to reach Pisa?" I asked.

"Probably, a 3 hour and 35 minute-drive," said Aunt Bea.

"Longer than I thought," I said. "It seems so near when I look at it on the map. I thought it would only take us minutes to get there."

Meanwhile, Aunt Bea and Uncle James continue their stories. I put my earphones on and listen to my favorite songs. It was like that for the next few hours until we reached Pisa.

It was one of a kind road trip. I've been out on a road trip before with mom and dad and it was different. We went for a road trip to California and Vegas once. I got bored when I was little because I couldn't see anything at all during the road trip, just plain old roads, trees, and desert land. Here, it was extraordinary. I saw different houses, structures, there were also vineyards and plantations of fruits and vegetables.

After a long drive, we are now in the city of Pisa. Pisa isn't at all different from other cities we passed by during our road trip. It has that same architectural design for houses. Uncle James drove us to the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Finally, we got there. I can already see the leaning tower of Pisa. A group of tourists are touring around and taking pictures. Uncle James parked the car while Aunt Bea and I got out of the car and waited for him to get the car parked. After that, we walked our way towards the tower.

"Here it is, Torre di Pisa," said Uncle James. He said it with enthusiasm and with a perfect Italian accent.

"The Leaning Tower of Pisa," said Aunt Bea. "No need to complicate the name, James."

Uncle James' face was funny. The enthusiasm was gone. I can't help not to laugh at Aunt Bea and Uncle James.

"I've always wanted the Italian term." Complained Uncle James. Aunt Bea and I both laughed at him. I know that Uncle James is very enthusiastic about the Tower of Pisa. It is his favorite architecture in Italy. And that was the secret Aunt Bea told me earlier when we got out of the car first and Uncle James was still in the car.

Tourists were everywhere. I saw the same tour guide in the Forum yesterday. She seems to be touring with the same group of tourists. However, I can't see the creepy guy who's staring at me yesterday. Not that I'm concerned. He's probably not interested in going here or probably staying in Rome. I observed the tourists around as I took pictures. They were taking creative shots of the tower. I already know their camera tricks.