Chapter 18: The Invitation

Chapter 18: Invitation

I couldn't sleep that night. I was bothered by the things that happened. Ethan's words echoed through my mind. I'm sick of people telling me what to do. Throughout the trip, I'm being told what I should do. This is my life not theirs. I will make the decisions. I grabbed the letter that I found on the balcony. I read it again.

I checked my watch. I know that it's already late but I've already decided. I'm going to talk to Charlie. I immediately changed clothes and silently went downstairs. Ethan is still awake watching a TV show.

"Where are you going?" he asked as he changed the channel. I didn't answer but he understood. He turned the TV off and grabbed the car keys. We were both quiet on the way to the hotel where Charlie is staying. Ethan made a phone call and told Charlie that he is on the way. He didn't mention that I will be coming too. I was nervous as we got there. But there is no turning back now. We went to the coffee shop inside the hotel where Charlie will be waiting for Ethan.

At the coffee shop, I saw Charlie was having a coffee and reading on one of the tables. When he saw us, he wasn't surprised at all. However, I was greeted harshly.

"What are you doing here?" asked Charlie in his most annoying way, and continued reading.

"I'll leave you two to talk," said Ethan. He immediately left us and I was left there with Charlie.

I remained calmed and said, "I'm here to talk to you."

"What's left to talk about, Katherine? Last time I tried, you ran away."

He is back to his annoying attitude. I wouldn't blame him. It's my fault anyway. I tried to be patient.

"I am here to make it up to you," I finally said.

"Really? How?" he asked in a challenging way. "Tell me." He put the book down and started listening.

"My flight to Greece is tomorrow," I told him. "Would you want to go with me?"

"Why would I go with you?" he asked with sarcasm. "I'm off to Paris tomorrow."

"You've been with me throughout my journey. I want you to be with me until the end of it," I explained to him.

"Really?" he asked, then sipped on his coffee. "I thought you don't want me around."

"In Greece, we will find out," I said. "Isn't that enough to explain it?"

"I'll think about it," he said plainly.

"I have reserved a ticket for you. You can check your email."

I left him there and dragged Ethan out of the coffee shop. I don't know what Charlie's decision will be. But I am hoping he will accept the invitation. After that, I somehow found peace. Yet, the feeling of doubt is still there. I've been through a rough day. When we got home, I immediately fell asleep.

I woke up the next day and remembered that it's time to say goodbye to Italy. Today, I'll be off to Greece. Aunt Bea is still in bed and Uncle James left early for the wine inventory so it was only Ethan who was with me at the airport. There's still no text message from Charlie since yesterday. Maybe he is not coming. Good that I didn't hope. Meanwhile, the announcement that the plane to Greece is now boarding echoed through the intercom.

"You should go," said Ethan.

"I feel bad for leaving without saying goodbye to Uncle James and Aunt Bea," I told him sadly.

He hugged me again and said, "I'll tell them."

"Thanks," I said, giving him a smile.

I looked around for Charlie and he was nowhere to be found. I guess he is not going. But it's okay. I wasn't really hoping.

"No message from Charlie?" asked Ethan. He must have noticed me looking around. I looked at my phone, no message from Charlie.

"None," I said.

"It is okay," said Ethan. "You've tried."

Another announcement reminded passengers that the plane to Greece is boarding echoed through. I was about to go when I remembered something. I rushed back and told Ethan, "See you soon at Hamptons!"

He winked at me and said, "I will make a way."

I smiled at him. I am hoping to see him back at Hamptons.

"I would like to see Sophia soon," said Ethan jokingly.

"We can make that happen," I told him as I winked.

"She is worth crossing oceans for," Ethan finally said.

The last call for Greece was airing. I made a rush to the gate as I waved goodbye to Ethan. I'm sad that Charlie had turned down my invitation but it is fine. I guess there is no second chance. As I got inside the plane, there were still empty seats. I'm not the only one late. As usual, I'll be sitting near the window. But there is someone on my seat.

"Excuse me," I said politely. "That is my seat."

"I got here first," said the man seated on my seat. He is reading a newspaper so I couldn't see his face.

"But sir, we have assigned seats," I reminded him.

"I know," he said. He put down the newspaper. Then, I finally see his face. Charlie accepted the invitation after all. "About time you got here."

I don't know if I am annoyed or happy. I'm probably in between. I am annoyed that he made me think that he is not going. I am happy he accepted the invitation. The only reason I asked him to go with me for the last time is because I want to try if it will work out. If it didn't, I want to at least bring back our friendship.