Chapter 7: Lost in the Streets of Paris

I was on the plane for 7 hours and 16 minutes straight. Whoa! That was one long ride! No stopovers. Dad scheduled a non-stop flight to Paris. I guess all of my flights will be non-stop flights. It is a good thing that I brought a book with me. I spent the whole flight reading. I arrived in Paris around 5 in the afternoon. After our arrival at the airport, I took the cab to Le Pearle Hotel.

While I was in the cab, I could already see the beauty of Paris. Wow! I can't believe what I'm seeing! Eiffel Tower! Am I dreaming of this? Somebody pinch me. We just passed by the Eiffel Tower. I can't wait to go near it. On our way to the hotel, we passed by several famous tourist spots as well. I can't wait to explore Paris. But for the meantime, I need a rest. I'm exhausted. I badly need sleep. I think I have jet lag.

When I arrived at the hotel, I didn't have time to admire the hotel. I was really exhausted. I just checked in and was escorted to my room. I immediately fell asleep. I didn't even bother to eat dinner before I went to sleep. I did not sleep in the plane because I was reading a book the whole time. All I need right now is sleep. So, I slept.

I was startled by the screeching doorbell; it made me fall off the bed. I checked my phone and it was already 7 in the morning. For crying out loud, who could be ringing the bell?! I immediately got up from the floor and opened the door.

"Bonjour, Ms. Dupree," the man greeted. He looked at me from head to toe. I am still in my pajamas. A little embarrassed, I sort of tried to hide behind the door and peek instead as I acknowledged him.

"Bonjour," I greeted back at the room service guy. He said something in French again but this time I couldn't understand him. He must've noticed that I can't understand what he has just said when he asked, "You cannot understand French?"

"Only a little," I honestly told him. I only know a few words in French and I'm not even that fluent in speaking French. There is no use pretending here because there is a language barrier. We better get this over with so that we can understand each other.

"I'm sorry to wake you up early, Ms. Dupree," he told me. "Room Service."

"Oh," I said. I opened the door and the room service guy entered the room and brought in the tray.

"Breakfast is served," he said. "Belgian Waffles and Hot Chocolate."

"Merci!" I thanked him in French. Belgian Waffles and Hot Chocolate, my order for today's breakfast. I made an advance order yesterday before I dozed off to sleep.

"Do you need anything else, Mademoiselle?" he asked.

"No. I'm okay. Merci," I said and smiled. He gave me a nod and then he left the room.

I sort of forgot about how I am still wearing pajamas and let someone inside my messy room. Either way, the room service guy didn't seem to mind at all and was just doing his job, right? They are entitled to uphold the privacy of their customers. Why am I even bothered? It must have been jet lag. I suddenly hear my stomach rumbling. Maybe, I am just really hungry.

Right after I ate my breakfast, I immediately took a bath and changed clothes. It's a little gloomy though, but it will not stop me from going out. I will just bring with me my umbrella just in case it rains.

I was about to leave the suite when I felt something vibrating inside my bag. It was my phone. Oh my God. Ten missed calls from Dad. I forgot to call him last night. For the second time, my cell phone rang. It was Dad calling again. I didn't have a second thought and immediately answered Dad's call.

"Hi, Dad!"

"Katherine! I've been calling you since last night! Why weren't you answering my calls?!" he scolded. I guess he was very worried. I sort of tried to distance my ear a little from the phone. It's not my fault I fell asleep and forgot to call him back and besides, my phone is in silent mode.