Chapter 13: First Day in Italy

Finally, the plane touched down. We're finally here. I'm in Italy. Another dream came true for me and Dimitri. I set aside that thought for a while.

As I look around, everything seems different. Italy is so different from Paris. I still can't get the picture of Paris out of my mind. Paris is still haunting me. But why? What even happened in Paris? Why does it even matter?

I was now at the airport in Italy. I took out my phone and checked if someone messaged or called me. I got 1 text message from Dad.

Your Aunt Bea will pick you up at the airport. –Dad

Aunt Bea? Oh yeah, that's right. She lives here in Italy somewhere in Verona. She got married to an Italian. They visited us in Hamptons last year and brought a lot of grapes from Italy. They own a vineyard here. Since Aunt Bea will pick me up, that means I'm not on my own and not staying at hotels.

I was now in the waiting area. Where could she be? I scanned the people who were assembled at the waiting area holding cardboards with names written on them.

I finally spotted my name. Aunt Bea saw me and waved her hand. She was with her husband. I came to them and I was greeted with a warm welcome.

"Katherine!" Aunt Bea said, the she hugged me. The hugging part took a while. When Aunt Bea hugs, she always takes a while before she lets go. It was always a bear hug. Aside from that fact, it's been a while since we saw each other. So ,the hugging really took a while.

"Look at you!" said Aunt Bea's husband. "Grown into a fine young lady."

I smiled, "It's been a while, Uncle James."

He hugged me. But that didn't take a while unlike Aunt Bea's bear hug.

"I heard that you are on European tour," said Aunt Bea. "So far, how's the tour?"

I don't know how to tell her about Paris.

Uncle James shot me by saying, "I heard you're from Paris."

"Yeah, I was there for 5 days. It was okay," I told him.

Uncle James started to tease me. There is that sly grin on his face as he teased me. "Probably, met a gentleman who caught a young lady's heart?"

I don't know how to respond to that. I really don't know what was with all those butterflies and sparks in Paris. I tried to respond by teasing Uncle James back.

"Uncle James, I'm not Aunt Bea," I teased him back. "Besides, I'm not into French guys."

Uncle James didn't give up teasing. "You know I know a lot of Italian guys about your age maybe you want to–"

He didn't get the chance to finish what he was saying because Aunt Bea interrupted him by saying, "James, Katherine is here for a tour not to hook up with Italian guys about her age."

Hook up? Where in the world did Aunt Bea think of that one?

"What I was just saying is that Katherine is young," Uncle James said. "She should explore, have fun, and fall in love. Besides, this is a city of love."

"City of love?" I asked. As far as I know, Paris is the city of love, not Italy. "I thought Paris is the city of love."

"That is true. But Italia is also known as the city of love," he said it with Italian accent.

"Why, because many couples visit this place?"

"Partly, yes."

"Or is it because it's the home of Shakespeare's star-crossed lovers, Romeo and Juliet?"