50 . bean

Alice was waiting eagerly on the steps outside her work building, hoping that every car that went past was Jonny's

Alice was waiting eagerly on the steps outside her work building, hoping that every car that went past was Jonny's. The couple had their first scan appointment that night and they could not be more excited. She sighed as another car went past that did not have her husband in it, she had counted twenty four silver cars. 

"Alice." 

She turned at the sound of Jonny's voice coming from her left and smiled widely. "Hi. I thought you were just stopping outside?" 

"I was but, I wanted to give you these." He grinned, holding out a bunch of flowers in his arms towards her. The flowers were lovely, purple and natural, she absolutely loved them. 

"They're gorgeous, thank you." She spoke as she took hold of the flowers, bringing them to her nose and sniffing before looking up at Jonny with a smile. "What have I done to deserve this?" 

"Everything." He breathed out, putting his hand on her cheek and kissing her hotly, careful to avoid crushing the flowers. "Now let's go and see our baby." 

***

Both husband and wife lay on their bed, Jonny flat on his stomach and Alice on top of him in the same position peering over his shoulder. Both of them staring in awe at the sonogram picture they had been given the day before. Neither could believe that there was a real thing, growing in her stomach that the two of them had created. Jonny turned his head, smiling widely as his wife lowered her head to be closer to him, kissing his lips lovingly. 

"It's pretty cool all of this isn't it?" He asked. 

Alice nodded enthusiastically. "It really is." 

"Hello!" A voice called up the stairs, the sound of footsteps following it up the stairs. 

"Pussface, we're up here." Jonny called when he heard his brothers voice. 

Adam stepped into the bedroom, furrowing his eyes when he saw their position. "Why are you lying like that?"

"It's comfy." Alice smiled. "Look at our baby!" 

Adam grinned, moving closer to them and picking the sonogram up, staring down at it intensely. "It looks like a bean." 

"It does not look like a bean." Jonny disagreed, sitting up slowly to give Alice time to get off his back and standing up next to Adam. 

"It kind of does look like a bean." Alice laughed lightly. "God, saying it feels so mean." 

"Beany." Adam suggested as a nickname. "Definitely what I'm going it." 

"I don't want you to call him beany." Jonny chortled but tried to keep his face straight. 

"Him?" Alice gasped. "You think it's a boy, I'm so going girl." 

"I think girl too." Adam admitted. "Lucie went boy, we've got twenty quid on it." 

"You're betting on our baby?" Alice asked with a raised brow. "I kind of expected that."