chapter 16

"You ever had gumbo?"

.

.

.

"Hope, can I talk to you about something?"

Hope looked up from where she had been focusing on a painting, noticing her roommate was sitting anxiously on her bed as she fiddled with her hands. Hope knew Georgie had learnt something unsettling from her father appearing a few days prior, but since she had been spending all of her time with Josie she hadn't had the chance to ask her what was up.

Now that Josie and Lizzie had taken off to visit Caroline since she couldn't make it for their birthdays, it seemed like Hope and Georgie were finally getting a chance to speak about the elephant that had been stomping around their room.

"I don't know how to actually say this," Georgie started as she fumbled with the bracelet on her wrist before looking up at Hope to see the girl was putting her paintbrush down now. "So I'm just gonna rip the bandaid off and say it as it is: your dad's sister, the other Mikaelson hybrid: she was my mom."

There was a heavy silence in the room as Georgie cautiously looked up at Hope, not sure how the girl would react. Her eyes were wide, her mouth dropped open slightly as she tried to process what Georgie had just said. She was going over it in her head but the dates didn't match up. Her family had always told her that her aunt had died just after she was born - but Georgie was almost a good two years younger than her since she was the same age as the Saltzman twins.

"Georgie, what?"

"Look I know I should have said as soon as I knew but there was the whole being put in a well thing and then I kissed Josie again and I just didn't know how to tell you that I guess we're cousins and-"

"Hey, hey, calm down," Hope told her as she moved to sit beside her on the tribrid's bed. She look a deep breath in as she tried to process everything. "But I thought my aunt had died just after I was born?"

"Dad said that Klaus helped her fake her death so that she could live a normal life," Georgie said before her words turned a little bitter. "Obviously that didn't matter since she died giving birth to me anyway. Hope, I'm the reason you don't know your aunt."

Hope shook her head as she grabbed on to Georgie's hands.

"Don't you dare blame yourself for what happened to your mother," Hope told her as she pulled the younger girl in for a hug before pulling back to look at her in disbelief. "Are you like, 100% sure?"

Georgie shrugged before looking back at her potential cousin. She knew her father had no reason to lie about her mother being the other Mikaelson hybrid but if Hope was suggesting a way for them to find out if she was actually related to her roommate then Georgie wasn't going to turn it down.