chapter 1

'What's in Mystic Falls?'

.

.

.

Georgie Lockwood was not a stranger to death.

Her mother had died giving birth to her, leaving her father to balance a newborn miracle baby and all things supernatural. When she was three years old, her father died too - brutally murdered by a man he had once fought alongside. Georgie was taken in by a pack of werewolves her dad had met when he was only a teenager whose alpha apparently owed him a great debt.

When the pack started to die due to an ongoing feud with their local vampire coven, she was sent on to her next guardian. Three flights and seven colas later, a seven year old Georgie arrived in what her dad had once told her would become their safe haven once he had retired from the supernatural world. He didn't make it there, but at least she did.

She wasn't sure how her dad or the pack had known Professor Colin Tyers. He was nothing like the wolves she had grown up around; they were unruly, relaxed and loud, while the greying man was uptight, quiet and everything in his life was always perfectly organised to the millimetre. He was a strict man, opting to home school Georgie despite having his own life and job to keep to. Her lunch breaks were filled with watching the man teach the local college another lecture on legal taxation. Georgie swore that she would never find a subject quite as uninteresting.

She was raised knowing everything she could about the supernatural. In the seven years she would spend with Colin, he would fill her head with as much information about the world she was born into despite not having a single drop of supernatural blood in his entire body.

She'd learn about the vampires that hid in the darkness of their cities, explaining the vervain herb that she would consume every morning. She'd learn about the wolves who would be as human as could be until the full moon, explaining why she would always stay with her father's friends from his work once a month. She'd learn about those who were both: the infamous hybrids. They started with the folklore about the original hybrid before Tyers told her about the small handful of hybrids he had been aware of in modern times: the most shocking one he told her about happened to be her own mother.

She was a miracle. A werewolf-vampire hybrid born in complete secrecy. Her vampire side would remain dormant until she died, and her werewolf side would remain dormant until she killed: two things she swore would never happen.

Tyers told her it was almost a curse, since everyone who had learned of her true heritage always had ended up dead. He promised her that one day he most likely would be gone too, and they hadn't made anymore backup plans for her care once he was gone.

Georgie didn't understand how he knew he would die too.

She had felt grief her entire life. Lives that surrounded her were always short lived when she was near, never giving her the chance to say her goodbyes.