Chapter 20

Author's Note:
Sorry there are so many time skips in this one. The six bullet lines are the time skips. Also, Noah's slightly stalker-ish in  this chapter. Not suggested for anyone, it would probably end very badly :)
Just thought I'd clarify that, because my next friend's going to be like "what?"

Richelle's Perspective:

Back at the studio, Emily announced that Noah and I placed first in the duet competition, stealing a glance at me and winking. I winked back as I was side-hugged by Noah.

Lola came up to me when Noah moved away, and congratulated me, being really nice. I was quite surprised, people weren't usually so outwardly kind to me. Lola was the one exception. And Noah, most of the time.

"Thank you." I said, trying to be just as nice back. She seemed to be a really good person, I didn't want to scare her away.

Emily then said that TNS West and TNS East were going to be competing for Regionals, and that we needed to work on a 10 person dance.

I thought it was ridiculous. We should be the ones going to Regionals. Not TNS West. They didn't even have a full team yet.

"And under no circumstances will the choreography be leaked to TNS West." Emily reminded everyone, walking out of the room and leaving Daniel in charge.

I was really excited to be working on the dance, and I thought that what Emily had just said was good and necessary. TNS West shouldn't have the edge over us.

Daniel got started on the dance, and I payed perfect attention and nailed the choreography on the first try. The dance looks amazing so far, and will definitely beat TNS West's.

——————

Noah's Perspective:

After rehearsal, Richelle and I were the last ones in the locker room, once again. "Do you want to hang out?" I asked her.

"I can't." she replied. That was strange, Richelle always gave a reason. Even if it was a reason as simple as that she was doing her homework, she would always tell me. And this time she didn't?

"Okay." I said, dragging out the Y to let her know I was on to her. It didn't work. She picked up nothing out of the usual and left.

——————

At home, I was at my desk doing homework when I decided to give Richelle a text. I said, 'hi, how are you?' And she didn't respond.

I was eventually going to go to sleep, about 5 hours later, when she finally responded. 'Hey, sorry I was busy.' she finally said.

I responded with, 'it's all good.' but I questioned it. She always texted me back, even when she was busy. I went to bed pondering.

——————

The next day, after rehearsals, I asked Richelle to hang out again, but she blew me off without a reason once again.

I asked her why, and she said, "I just can't, okay?"

"Are you blowing me off on purpose?" I asked.

"No, of course not, Noah. I just have things to do." she responded.

"You're sure?" I questioned.

"Yes, I'm sure. See you, Noah." She gave me a quick peck on the cheek and then left. I didn't buy it. Something was going on with her. And I was going to find out what.

——————

I wasn't satisfied with her answers, and I had a feeling something was up with her. Which was why I was at her house. I rang the door bell, but it didn't seem like she was there. I tried to see if her door was open as a last resort, and, surprisingly, it was.

I went in, straight up to her room, intending to wait for her. Her room was the same as always. It was small, and it had a very lived-in feel. Almost homey. The bed was petite, the same one she'd had since she was little, and it was in the center of the room, under a blue rug that her mother had knitted when Richelle was a baby. The room smelled of lavender and peppermint, her two favorite scents. The lavender was from the her favorite shampoo, and the peppermint from the lip balm that she refused to leave the house without. I knew all of these things because she'd told me. She was a really open person once you got to know her. That's why her recent behavior was so surprising.

I sat down on her bed and grabbed the book on her nightstand. The Deceiver's Heart. Richelle was, interestingly enough, a fantasy book addict. She loved them, and always had her nose stuck inside of them. She claimed that fantasy was an escape from this world. That the characters inside of them would become her friends, and that the crazy storylines were her wishes. I started to read the first page.

I heard her come home when I was about 100 pages through. Turns out that the book was pretty interesting. Her footsteps were padding lightly through the house until they came up the stairs and stopped outside the door.

She opened it, and at first didn't notice me, but I wasn't surprised as the light was off. I had quickly rushed to turn it out before she'd gotten up here. Richelle didn't really look good, even in the dark. Her messy ponytail was scrambled up in a knot on the top of her head and her mascara was smudged all over her eyes. She looked tired, and sad. Then she put her bag down and turned on the light.

"Hey," I said, and she shrieked.

"Oh my gosh, Noah! You nearly gave me a heart attack!" It seemed that that was an accurate statement, as she was clutching her chest and shaking. "You can't just break into people's houses and wait for them!"

"Where were you?" I asked. "And where are your parents?" I've never actually met her parents, they're always at—

"Work. My parents were at work. And I was running some errands." she answered.

I didn't buy it. There was no way she was out doing errands.

When I voiced that, she said she was, very nonchalantly. I looked her in the eye and tried to get the truth out of her. "I know you're but telling me the truth....Riche."

She flinched at the nickname. I hadn't called her that in years, since the first time, but that made her open up to me. I wanted her to do that again.

"I don't hate it. I love it. I miss it. And..."

"What?" I asked.

"You can call me that now."

"Really?" I said. "I won't if you don't want me to."

"I want you to." She smiled, for the first time all night.

So I tried again. "Riche, where were you?"