Chapter 28

Author's Note:
Guys! I'm so, so proud of this, honestly! Might be the best chapter I've ever written! I love it so much, I hope you guys do too!

Richelle's Perspective:

I awoke sometime around midnight, barely able to breathe and with sweat on my palms and throat. I flung my covers aside, trying to orient myself in the darkness.

I collapsed on the floor, wrapping my arms around my legs, hoping simply to breathe again. What I'd just experienced was no ordinary dream. It was a memory, so real that I felt as if I were there again.

Thanks to my open window, my eyes gradually adjusted, but I had yet to calm my racing pulse or collect an even breath.

Dream

I stood beside her bed, whispering loving words to her and attempting to calm my nerves. I brushed my hand across her forehead and felt beads of sweat in the creases. She wasn't doing well.

The doctors told us that today was her last day. I had found a spare room that wasn't being used, crouched in the corner, and cried all morning. She was all I had, really. I needed her.

I had been found by the nurses, and sent back to her room. I hadn't wanted to go back. It would just make it all far too real. But I would have to accept the fact sooner or later. She was leaving, and she wasn't coming back.

Annie, a kind and lovely nurse, placed a comforting hand on my shoulder, but I was far past the point of comforting. "I'm sorry, love." she said somberly.

I didn't say anything. I couldn't reply. I couldn't say 'it's okay,' because it wasn't. I couldn't say, 'thank you,' because I was not in the mood to be grateful. She was dying.

I felt as though I should've done something, even though there was no way I could've. I felt as though I should say something to her,but she couldn't respond, or hear me. I was unnerved, unsettled, and utterly broken inside.

My heart was torn apart, stepped on, shattered. There was nothing that anyone could ever do to heal it, unless some miraculous miracle saved her. Which was far from likely.

"Riche," I heard in a whisper from below me. I rushed forward, leaving Annie behind me. I put my arms at around her, careful as to not damage her further.

"Baby, you have to let me go." Her voice was raspy, as if she was fighting to get the words out. I knew that she was.

"I can't!" I said, sobbing. "I love you too much!"

"I-I love you...too." She barely got to the last word as she closed her eyes. Her chest rose and fell with one last breath.

My cries grew louder, until I was sure they could be heard at the other side of the hospital. "No!" I shouted. "She's not dead, she's not.." My voice finally broke. There was no use telling myself this, I had to accept reality.

Annie took me into her arms, leading me out of the room as I looked back at her. If you looked from a distance, you could mistake her for sleeping. I knew better.

The most important person in my life, my everything, had been taken away from me. Forever.

I stayed curled up in a ball and whimpering, reliving the terrible moment, until dawn.

——————

Noah's Perspective:

I came to Richelle's house to pick her up and went in, but I didn't see or hear anything. Not even scuttling upstairs that indicated her getting ready. Nothing.

I went upstairs, attempting to find her, and heard her crying outside of her doorway. I rushed in.

I saw her in tears on the floor beside her bed, holding onto her legs as if it was the only thing keeping her together. Unsure what else to do, I sat down beside her and put a hand on her back, rubbing it to soothe her.

She instantly turned to me and burrowed her head into my shoulder, still sobbing. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"I had a bad dream," she mumbled.

"What about?"

She turned to me and looked straight at me with glassy eyes. Then she nodded her head down. "My mom."

I was shocked. She never mentioned her mom, ever. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"Maybe." Then she nuzzled into me again.

"Maybe you could call her, if she's at work?" I suggested.

"I can't call her. I can't ever call her," she responded, hanging her head. Her hand started shaking, and I knew she was getting even more upset. I needed to change the subject, quickly.

I looked at the clock and found my perfect excuse. "We really have to get to rehearsals." I said.

"Okay." She got up, holding out a hand to help me as well.

Before she left, I took her face in my hands and wiped away her tears. "There. Now you're perfect."

Author's Note:
Alright, for all of you guys who think you've figured out her secret, think again. Remember, this is just a tiny, tiny part. This is just a small part of it, and it hasn't been revealed completely either. Neither has the most prominent part :)
Keep guessing!