39

How long is too long to lay in a bathtub ignoring the world and your problems? Is it the moment your skin finally turns prune like? Or when the water finally gets too cold? Or perhaps it's the moment when you've been gone for so long your boyfriend interrupts these questions to rouse you from your relaxed state by running into the bathroom.

"I need you to get out of the bath, now!" He said out of breath.

It almost seemed as if something was wrong as he set a towel down on top of the sink and closed the door for me to get out. As requested I hurried out of the bath and wrapped the towel around me before walking into his room.

"What's going..."
"Oh thank god, I gotta poop!" He winced as he closed the bathroom door and I laughed sitting on his bed in a towel.

As mad as I was to be kicked out of the bath, I was more relieved that he had forced me out before unleashing whatever unhuman exorcism was going on with his body.

I didn't make an attempt to get up or to put clothes on, in fact I was more than comfortable in Riley's room with just a towel on than I probably should have been given that Carl and my parents were downstairs.

Riley was still in the bathroom when I finally gave up waiting and put some of my pajama shorts and one of his T-shirts on. I opened the bedroom door only to hear the voices echoing from downstairs.

"We really do appreciate you letting us come to clear the air, I really do hate that Brittney wasn't feeling well." Teresa said, I assume to our parents.
"No problem, You know how teenagers can get!" My mother replied and I couldn't help but wonder if she would be so civil if she knew the half of it.
"Well, we will be going!" Teresa's voice said again as another voice joined the group.

"Where's? Wait why is he here? Nevermind. I need to talk to Britt?" Kyles frantic voice sounded from downstairs.
"She's upstairs, She's not feeling well!" Averleigh replied.
"It will only take a second, promise?"

I didn't wait to hear the rest of the conversation, instead I slipped into Annas room as she sat on her bed reading a book.
"If anyone comes looking for me you don't know where I am!" I whispered before hiding in her closet.
"Okay, but you have to spill later!"

I closed the closet door and sat in the floor as a car started outside and footsteps thudded on the stairs and hallway. Shortly after there was a light knocking on a door before I assume that Riley opened the door.

"Kyle?"

"Where's Britt?"

"I don't know, she was just here!"

"Dude don't mess with me!"

"Jesus, Kyle, I don't know, but I don't think she wants to talk to you." Riley said coldly.

"What did she say?"

"Just that you both had an argument, why? Wait what's really going on?"

"Nothing, I just... I need to apologize." Kyle replied.

I heard a faint knocking, followed by Annas door opening.
"Hey sis, you know where Britt went?" Riley asked.
"Nope, I thought she was with you!" Anna lied, rather convincingly at that.

It seemed to work as Riley ushered Kyle away and all that remained was the fading sound of footsteps. I re-emerged from the closet as Anna looked at me.
"You can escape to thee yard from my balcony if you like?" She grinned.
"Thanks Anna, I owe you!"
"Don't mention it." She shrugged before returning her eyes back to her book.

I climbed down the elaborate wooden escape stairs that Anna had clearly made herself, wondering how often she had actually used them, and whether she was sneaking out. She wasn't too much younger than us but still, she was like a little sister to me and the thought of her roaming the streets by herself made me nervous.