36

My nights with Riley were the only nights where I actually slept. Sometimes on the good nights, I wouldn't even have a nightmare, but even on the bad nights, feeling him holding me allowed me to go back to sleep.

Last night had been a great night. Riley had loved every inch of my body before holding me to him the entire night, our naked bodies entangled in his bed sheets. I had slept amazing and actually looked semi human when I woke up. After a quick shower I was dressed and downstairs watching a movie with Anna while he slept in.

He finally appeared around lunch, looking amazing as always. I felt drawn to him this morning, watching him intently as he grabbed a slice of toast, kissed his mother's cheek and thanked her for breakfast. He really was the best kind of person.

When we finally went to my house for family dinner, I realized that I had some changes to make. I had to be strong not only for myself, but for him. For everyone.

I could wallow in self pity over some bad dreams, or I could man up and refuse to let Carl have any more control over my happiness. It wasn't fair to anyone to be worried about me over something that wasn't even real.

Everyone ate dads chicken korma happily. The conversations we light and fun as our parents asked about our Christmas break plans, how our friends and Riley's football was going and finally how the camping trip to the mountains had to be rescheduled due to the property double booking the cabins.

"Football is really good. We are winning games and my favorite person is always front row in the bleachers for every game!" He smiled resting his hand on my thigh.

"I wouldn't be anywhere else!" I looked at him as he kissed my temple and Anna made a gagging noise.

Once the plates were cleared away I stood in the kitchen with mom as I dried and put away the dishes.

"I need you to do me a favor Britt."
"Sure mom."
"When your dad makes his announcement I need you to promise you won't freak out."
"I don't like the sound of that." I teased.
"Britt I'm serious. This is really big for him and we have a plan. You just have to stay calm and let him get it all out okay?" She pleaded turning to face me.
"Okay." I sighed.

When we joined everyone in the living room I sat with Riley and latched onto him for dear life. If that kitchen talk was anything to go off, I was not going to like whatever this news was.

Dad stood up nervously and looked at me and Riley.

"So I have an announcement to make, and before I say what it is, I want you to know that I talked about it with your mom, Spencer and Averleigh in great depth."

His eyes were still fixed on me as I tightened my arms around Riley's shoulders.

"I got offered a new job, working with a partner company of Spencer's. It pays really well and it comes with a lot of benefits we don't have right now."

"Daddy that's great!" I smiled as his face dropped "that is great isn't it?"

"Yeah, the only downfall is that it's in Nashville."

"Wow!" I said "I mean that's a long drive to go to work dad—"

"I won't be driving from here Britt." He cut me off as I watched everyone look at me waiting for me to connect the dots. "Your mother and I will be moving there."

"What?" I whispered feeling my face well with tears. "When?"

"After Christmas."

I took a deep breath, reminding myself that I promised to hear them out.
"What about me? What about school?"