Chapter 22-OOTP

The door of number 12 shut behind them. They followed Lupin down the front steps. As he reached the pavement, Harry looked around. Number 12 was shrinking rapidly as those on either side of it had stretched sideways, squeezing it out of sight. One blink later it had gone.

"Come on, the quicker we get on the bus the better," said Tonks and Harry thought there was nervousness in the glance she threw around the square. Lupin flung out his right arm. BANG.

A violently purple, triple-decker bus had just appeared out of thin air in front of them, narrowly avoiding the nearest lamppost, which jumped backwards out of its way. A thin, pimply, jug-eared youth in purple uniform leapt down on to the pavement and said "Welcome to the-"

"Yes, yes we know thank you," said Tonks swiftly, "On, on get on-" And she shoved Harry froward towards the steps, past the conductor, who goggled at Harry as he passed.

"Ere- It's 'Arry-!"

"If you shout his name i will curse you into obliviation," muttered Tonks menacingly, now shunting Ginny and Hermione forwards. "I've always wanted to go on this," said Ron who joined Harry on board.

"Looks like we'll have to split," said Tonks briskly looking around for empty seats. "Fred, George, Ginny and Elizabeth, if you just take those seats at the back... Remus can stay with you."

She, Harry, Ron and Hermione proceeded up to the very top deck, where there were two unoccupied chairs at the very front of the bus and two at the very back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lupin and Tonks helped them off the bus with their luggage then got off to say goodbye. Harry glanced up at the three decks of the knight bus and saw all the passengers staring down at them, noses flat against the windows.

"You'll be safe once you're in the grounds," said Tonks, casting a careful eye around the deserted road. "Have a good term okay?"

"Look after yourselves," said Lupin, shaking hands all round and reaching Harry last. "And listen..." He lowered his voice while the rest of them exchanged last-minute goodbyes with Tonks. "Harry I know you don't like Snape but he is a superb Occlumens and we all- Sirius included- want you to learn to protect yourself, so work hard, all right?"

"Yeah, all right," Harry said heavily, looking up at Lupin's prematurely lined face, "See you then." Lupin hugged Elizabeth once more. "Love you, stay safe."

"Love you too," replied Elizabeth.

The 7 of them struggled up the slippery drive towards the castle, dragging their trunks. Hermione was already talking about knitting a few elf hats before bedtime. Harry glanced back when they reached the front doors; the knight bus had already gone and he half-wished given what was coming the following evening that he was still on board.

Harry spent most of the next day dreading the evening. His morning double-potions lesson did nothing to dispel his trepidation, as Snape was as unpleasant as ever. His mood was further lowered by the DADA members constantly asking him if there is a meeting tonight.

"I'll let you know the usual way when the next one is," Harry said over and over again. "But i can't do it tonight, I've go to go to..err-"

"He's got remedial potions," Elizabeth covered.