I'm Sorry

Ashley's P.O.V.

I held Torrie close, feeling her heart beat along side my own, as slept. She felt so distant.  She'd retreated back inside her shell, who knew if she'd ever come back out again.

My whole world seem to be crumbling around me, past, present and future.  The happy memories, never will we share again, the impossibility of finally getting her back into my arms.  My dreams of our future.

Torrie twitched, uneasily, in her sleep.  I stroked her hair, trying to calm her.

"Swift, no," she muttered, "Help, help.  Ashley help!"

She jolted out of her sleep, eyes flying open, full of fear.  I grabbed a her, to stop her falling off the bed.

"Torrie, Torrie.  It's fine I'm here."

She looked at me, as though seeing a ghost, before falling back into my arms.  Silent tears slid down her cheeks as she pressed herself against me.

Her bright, blue eyes moved slowly up to meet mine.

"Ashley," she whispered.

For that moment, as our lips touched, I believed that everything could be alright, and go back to the times of pure joy and happiness of the past.  I believed in our love.

                                                      ***

Torrie's P.O.V.

I hate doctors!  Why am I here?  I don't need them!  I'd yelled for a whole hour at anyone and everyone who'd listen.

"C'mon Torrie," Jinxx pleaded, trying to drag me from the sofa, "It's not going to be that bad."

I pulled away from him.  They didn't know, they didn't understand.  I couldn't face another fear.  He collapsed on the sofa next to me, despairingly.  Jake sat on the other side and both stared at me.

"Please, Torrie," Jake said, "Andy wants you to go."

Huh, Andy!  He still hadn't spoken to me since yesterday.  He'd ran upstairs as soon as I'd came down this morning, avoiding me.  CC was with him, and Ashley, who knows where he was?  He'd gone out, but like he'd help me anyway, it was his idea.

I glowered at him, but only for a second.  It wasn't Jake's fault, or Jinxx's, or anyone's, was it?  When you know that your greatest enemy is yourself.  And no one can find out.

"There's nothing to be scared of," Jinxx reassured.  He smiled as I looked at him, "If you're not scared, nothing can go wrong."

Nothing to be scared of?  I couldn't see the logic in it, of course things could go wrong, anything-  I cut my thoughts off.  There can't be a way, there just can't be, can there?  If I'm scared of nothing, If I have no fears, then...

It took more effort to nod my head, and agree to this than it has to do anything in my whole life.  Yet, somehow, I knew it was right.  It was the only way.

                                                                  ***

The waiting room was clinically white and smelling faintly of detergent.  There was only a few other people there.  2 old ladies, gossiping merrily, a young child and his mother and a grim faced man, reading a paper.  None of them made any acknowledgement that we'd just entered, except the child, who stared open mouthed, and momentarily forgot to annoy his mother.

We took the three seats opposite the man, and sat down in silence.  Once again, Jake and Jinxx were either side of me, like my bodyguards, or my kidnappers.  I almost laughed out loud at the thought, but stopped myself, best not to convince a bunhk of complete strangers that I'm absolutely mad.