Graveyard by Darkness

"Ashley Purdy, I hate you!"

OK, so that might not have been what Ash expected to hear as soon as he woke up, but I meant it in a nice way.  I threw my arms around him and grabbed him into hug that was so tight I wouldn't have been surprised if it knocked him out again.

His voice came out in an indistinguishable mumble and as my eyes met his chocolate brown ones, I smiled through my tears.  A hand was on my shoulder, trying to drag me away, but I brushed it aside.

"Torrie," it was Andy, "The doctor needs to see Ashley."

I ignored him and squeezed Ash's hand.  There was no way I could ever leave him.

"C'mon," Jake's hand was around my arm.

"I'm not going!" I yelled, hitting him away, an moving closer to the hospital bed.

The doctor was standing next to us, trying to get to Ashley's side, but they couldn't make me go!  I felt arms grip around my waist.

"No!" I shouted so loud you could hear everyone else in the hospital fall silent.

No matter how hard I fought, I was still pulled up onto CC's shoulder and he carried me out of the ward.  The door closed behind us, and as he set me down on the floor, I ran at him, hitting him with all my might, screaming in rage.

Two arms latched around my, holding me back.

"Jinxx, Jake get off!" I tried to struggle free myself, but then realised, "Where's Andy?"

At my sudden lack of aggression, their grip slackened and I could wrench myself free.  The three of them exchanged glances, and looked towards the door.

"Torrie, calm down," Jinxx said, putting his hands on my shoulders and turning me to face him, away from the door.

"Why is he allowed to stay in there and I'm not?" I said.  I know I sounded like a child, but I didn't care, my thoughts were only of Ashley.

"You'll be able to see him in a minuet," Jinxx continued.

I tried to get back to the ward door, but was still held back.

"Why don't we head downstairs," Jake suggested, "There's a cafe, we can relax a bit."

I opened my mouth to retaliate, but Jinxx and CC had already nodded.

"I'll go tell Andy," CC said, and as he opened the door I glimpsed Ashley, just where we left him, lying down, looking dead, with the doctor hovering over him.

Jinxx had such a firm grasp on my hand as we walked down the stairs, that I had no choice but to follow.

I had been ordered a coffee, even though I insisted I didn't want anything.  Sitting on uncomfortable plastic seats, I didn't dare to make eye contact with anyone.  I knew my eyes would betray me, showing my true anxiety and worry through my frosty exterior.

"What a way to spend our day off," CC joked, trying to lighten the mood.

I gave him the evilest glare I could, but it didn't stop him trying to be cheerful though.

"Just think, this time tomorrow we'll be doing out last U.S. show, then it's off to Europe."

Last show in the U.S.  Why did that mean something?  I'm sure there was something about that date that was mean to be significant.  Then it struck me.  How could I've forgotten?  The day we leave for Europe was my birthday!  With everything that had happened it had slipped right out of my mind.

I looked up, but none of the guys made any reaction to the fact my birthday had somehow slipped into the conversation.  Perhaps they forgot as well, couldn't blame them.  Right now their friend was upstairs, practically dead.