Chapter six

The next few days were uneventful. Thor kept his word and didn't tell anyone about mine and Loki's spar. The team was called out on a minor mission and I spent that time reading in the library.

What was suspicious was that books keep going missing from my pile. I presume it's Loki but I don't want to ask him, seeing as every time I open my mouth he has a snide comment to reply.

I awoke to the chirping of birds outside my window. I sat up in my bed and sunk my head into my hands.

After a while of just sitting, thoughtless, I made my way to the kitchen for some breakfast. No one was there and I was enjoying the piece and quiet.

After a while it started to get busy and soon enough everyone was in the kitchen. I had since moved over to the sofa and was watching some random programme on the tv.

I heard Tony shout my name, "Yeah?" I called back.

"Come here kid I need to tell you something" Tony said from the other side of the room.

"Can it wait I'm watching something?" I whined back

"Sorry kid, it's urgent" What could possibly be urgent, nothing goes on in my life.

I walked over to the kitchen table where Tony sat by himself working. "What's up?" I ask when I get there.

"Your social worker is coming in to see you, she needs to talk to you about something serious" He exclaims, his voice low.

"Oh ok, she isn't meant to come for another couple of weeks" I say confusion sprouting on my face, "Do you know what it's about?" I ask.

"Not a clue, sorry kid. She'll be here in about five to ten minutes though, you can use the normal meeting room" Tony tells me and I walk back to my place on the sofa.

"What did Tony want?" Nat asks me as she sits in the couch opposite.

"My social worker is coming in to talk to me in ten minutes" I say, fear spreading across my face as I try to go through every possibility.

"Maybe it's about you're parents or the trial?" Nat questions

"No, it won't. The trial ended a year and a half ago. The judge didn't give me a sentence. He wouldn't just go back on his word." I reassured Nat.

You could see Loki perk up at the mention of the word 'judge' and 'sentence'. I didn't dare look behind me to where he was sat on the chair. He called Thor over and the two began to chat. I dread to think what they were talking about.

"Kid, she's here" Tony shouts at me.

I take a deep breath before making my way to the meeting room. My social workers name is Kelly. She is employed by S.H.I.E.L.D and takes care of kids like me. Dangerous kids. She's nice I guess. She was the person who got me through my trial, but I haven't seen her in months.

I reach the room and she's already in there. I walk in and she greets me and tells me to sit down.

"How are you?" She asks me, her tone not giving anything away.

"Fine.  Thanks" I say with suspicion.

"Please there's nothing to worry about, I've just come to finalise some things because your nineteen now. This means that this is your last year of having a social worker" she explains as she takes out some paperwork from her bag. "I just need to sign these" she says pushing the papers and a pen towards me.

I scan the pages having no interest with what's written on them. I quickly sign them, "is that it, is this your last visit?" I ask her.

"Unless anything happens, yes this is my last visit." She says solemnly.

I stand up and walk round the table and give her a hug. She's reluctant at first but soon hugs me back. "Thank you, Kelly" I say pulling away.

"It's been a pleasure" she says smiling at me, "now you do me proud and become the best version of yourself you can be" we both smile real smiles and I hug her once more.

Our goodbyes are short but sweet and I make my way out of the building. I've decided to go on a long walk around the compound to enjoy my calm mood.

I find a tree and lie under it with my eyes closed. Everything seems good. Everything is calm and joyful. I like it like this.

I was out there until night fell. When the sun had gone down I decided to go back. I took the stairs to my room to elongate the journey. There was no one to be found. I grabbed some food from the kitchen and then carried on to my room. I was looking at my feet the whole time - which was my mistake - when I came into contact with something. I rubbed my eyes and looked up to see Loki standing there. I didn't bother to stare or converse shooting right up and walked straight past him. He grabbed my hand and pulled me back. I was wriggling in his grasp

"Watch where you're going" He told me. My squinted eyes bolted up to his and I stood still.

I eyed him back, freeing my hand from his grip .