Alone

I woke in the morning.

I was still alone.

It wasn't a dream, and Taylor had really left last night.

The bed felt as empty as it had then - maybe even emptier. If that was possible.

I think I always took for granted the time I had with Tay - especially the nights. I told myself I was appreciating them, but I didn't enough.

I drew on those moments I had tried so hard to make myself remember, but it was so hard. I couldn't remember what exactly it felt like to have her arms around me, but I could feel them there. It's like they were, but she wasn't. And they're nothing without her.

When I could, I managed to leave my cocoon for a moment to reach for my phone on the bedside table.

8:30.

My appointment was in half an hour.
If I left now, I'd be there with five minutes to spare.

I couldn't go without Taylor. She had been with me every time. She was the reason I went. She was the reason I was getting better.

Do you even want to get better?

I heard her raise her voice exactly as she had last night.

Maybe she was right. For someone who wanted to get better, I sure was doing pretty badly. The doctor never really tells me how she thinks I am. It's always the usual 'you're doing really well Karlie' that they all say when they want to give you a confidence boost and make them think that they're doing a great job.

Maybe Taylor gets the updates. The real ones. Where Dr Andrews tells her that she thinks I'm not making much progress and they wonder what they can do. They'd probably had the conversation about whether or not I wanted to get better too. Maybe she's the one that put the thought into her mind.

I'll hurt that lady if she did.

I always swore that I would never let anything take Taylor from me, and now, I may as well be the reason for her being gone.

I don't know what I did, I just went to the doctor, did what she said and tried my best. And this is what I get. There is no way that I'm going to that appointment. Dr Andrews and I need a break.

I pulled the blanket back over me, folding back into my cocoon and I resolved to stay here in my bed until I could manage to get out and find Taylor. I needed to find her and explain. We needed to talk. But when I found the courage, then I would.

In the middle of wallowing in my self-pity, my phone rang. I jumped up at the sound to see who it was.

The number of Dr Andrews' office appeared on the screen. I checked the time while I was there, 9 am. They really don't waste a second so they?

Great. I shrunk back into the blankets. I wasn't answering that phone call.

Make them wonder where I am. Make them think that something happened. It will only be a matter of time before they move onto someone more exciting or tragic. Something better will come along or happen and they'll just... forget.

Maybe that's what Taylor's doing right now.

She couldn't take my crap and drama. And there was something less complicated, or something where nothing was happening at all, that drew her away from me.

It wouldn't be there first time I screwed up and made people flee from me.

First it was my parents, and anyone that had claimed to be my friend, and anyone else that came along. And now Taylor. When I had thought that she was the only exception, the universe proved to me that she wasn't.

The universe always proved me wrong. The only thing that it agreed on me with was that these blankets were the comfiest thing ever made, and that I never felt like leaving them.