Reaction

~ Taylor's POV ~

The letter was tragic!

All these things had happened to Karlie, and I never even knew. We spoke about a lot over the years. But never about this.

But I can understand why she didn't say anything.

Besides, it's hers to tell.

I'm too good at lying about it. I've had practice- nearly ten years of practice.

That certainly is true. But I had noticed some differences in her at times. But I just figured that it was the normal changes that happen.

It sickens me that she has had to hide and lie and go through this. She shouldn't have to do it at this age, let alone when she was thirteen!

I wish I had been with her then. I would have loved her just as I do now and I would notice. I swear I would.

I had gotten so used to being alone, it didn't shock me at first when my friends stopped being my friends.

That line made me cry. I already had tears in my eyes while I was reading. But that made it worse. It made me want to go back in time and look after her even more.

I would have killed to have a friend like her when I was thirteen. I had my own friendship problems, but nothing like what Karlie had going on.

I took a deep breath and kept reading.

I skipped dinner, too ashamed to face them after I'd made them angry and started the fighting again. (It really only would have been a matter of time before it began itself)...

A lot happened that night, and by the end of it, I had four broken ribs, a broken nose, a sprained ankle and an inch long gash on my cheek.

"Oh my God!" I actually exclaimed out loud when I read that part. "Karlie! I'm so sorry!"

She said nothing. I could see she was holding her tears in and if she spoke, she may lose it.

I understood that and let her be.

She was sitting next to me on the couch. I reached out my hand and placed it on Karlie's that were clamped and sitting on her knees.

I have them a squeeze as I read on.

Just please Taylor, all I want is for you to not blame yourself. Don't worry for more time than necessary. No stupid questions like 'what if I noticed this..?' Or 'I could have done this...'

I owe that to her, I suppose. She says I shouldn't blame myself. But if I had just asked when I noticed hear things, then maybe some of this may have come out earlier and I could be helping her get better.

And it's not your responsibility. The people who have that responsibility didn't do anything and that's what made me think it was okay.

Because the people that were meant to care for me never noticed, and if they did, they never did anything about it.

They were a heartbreaking few lines. The way the mind works is mysterious.

It is true, what she says and how she has comprehended it. But she shouldn't be apologising for other peoples' mistakes.

If the people who are supposed to know right from wrong, who should care for you and notice what you do, couldn't even tell that something was up and correct it, then of course a young girl is going to think that it's okay.

In that respect, she's right. There's nothing I could have done. Because the people that knew her best didn't notice her or know that she had all of this going on and what it was doing to her, what chance did I have in knowing any of this.

But I still can't fully forgive myself. I should have just asked when I was thinking about it.

But for Karlie, I will try not to think these things.

And if I think them, I won't say them out loud or let her think that I'm thinking them.

This girl deserves all the care in the world. And if I have to make sacrifices for that to happen, then that's what I'll do.

I have to show her that I care about her and that I will notice things. She will have someone to take responsibility for her when she needs to be cared for. I want to do that.

But only if she wants it.

I'll give up all my joys in this world for her to have happiness, no matter how long it lasts.

I'll do anything for Karlie. Because I love her.