Chapter 35

Canada's P.O.V.

(semi-flashback to the past because yeehaw)

I didn't go to school like most countries. I was homeschooled by my mother. My new mother, who cast aside my ways of life like they were nothing. My new mother, who pushed me to my limits and forced me to grow up to face problems that were not fit for a child such as myself. My new mother; my caretaker.
She shaped me into who I am. Whether I had liked it or not.

"You will be perfect." She had always said. "You will not fail."

I had wanted my old mom back. But I would see her again.

When I killed her.

(flashback over)

The dark asphalt stretched before me endlessly, the northern forests surrounding us as far as I could see. It was home, where I felt most comfortable. A city or the country could never give me the feeling of waking up to chilly mist and fresh pine air.

Lithuania and Slovakia were sitting in the back, the Slovakian on her phone. The other was laying down on her lap, dozing peacefully. I smiled to myself, adjusting my glasses. Honestly, they were so cute.
I let my thoughts crowd my mind as I sped along the small highway. I thought about Germany and how he had acted today.
Maybe it was something other than Poland that was troubling him, I wondered, my fingers drumming the steering wheel. But that wouldn't make sense. What else could possibly be bothering the German more?

Well, my first question was why Germany cared so much. as far as I know, they had only been friends for a few months, at most. Sure, I'd been away from my siblings here and there, but never had I been overly depressed about it. Maybe they were lovers?

Nah, I thought with a smirk. That would be out of question. Poland wasn't exactly the romantic type. And Germany was as straight as a line. Everyone and their brother knew that.

A car whizzed by, flashing it's headlights so bright I was nearly blinded. I pressed the horn loudly, upset that someone would have their high beams on near another driver. What an idiot.

Lithuania jolted from his sleep. "Huh?!"

"It's okay, Canada just honked the horn." Slovakia said, ruffling her boyfriend's hair. "Also, It's my turn to lay down. You're comfy."

"Fine." He muttered, faking annoyance. There was some shuffling before Slovakia finally got settled. She looked at me through the rearview mirror. "How much longer?"

I glanced at the GPS before training my eyes back on the road. "About 5 minutes. We're almost there, it's just up this road."

We drove in silence for another long while. I wondered about Russia and Hungary. My face almost instantly heated up at the memory of the previous night. How come I didn't notice they were romantically involved before then? Maybe at least I could of been more cautious.

Then I thought about Austria. She seemed very distraught, and I could tell everyone else knew, too. My best guess was that it had something to do with Germany. I wish I could make her feel better.

I kept thinking about more things, like my family and friends. One particular friend actually. He had asked me to meet him at the restaurant, and so I had suggested we all go. Of course, no one suspected a thing. I thought about his smile, and my stomach fluttered nervously. Gosh, he was cute.