Chapter 17

Poland's P.O.V.

I need to get out of the house. Away from Lithuania and Slovakia. I can't bring myself to look at either of them.

I maneuver my way silently towards the back room upstairs and look down from the window. It's a few meters down, but not too far. I should be okay.

I pull the window open and stick one leg out, then the other. Soon I'm dangling from the open window.

I drop a meter or so until my feet catch on a pipe, and I hug the side of the house. I hop down to the ground from there. Beyond me are the woods where my brother was taken all those years ago.

Where do I go? All I had thought about up until now was escaping the house.

Germany crosses my mind. I'll visit him!

Wait, no, I stop myself. That's stupid. Why would he want to see you?

Slovakia would be my next choice, but she's with Lithuania. And I can never show my face near him again.

I run through a list of countries I knew.

Czech's too moody. Russia's...Russia. Sweden's God knows where. So...

I find myself with only one name left on the very short mental list. Hungary.

I had tried to meet up with him a while ago, except he said he was busy. He's always busy these days, to be honest. But at this point, I'm so desperate to converse with someone else other than Lithuania and Slovakia.

I walk into the woods, being swallowed by the trees and undergrowth. Almost immediately after my entry, the heavy stomping of boots surrounds me.

I whirl around frantically, my heart rate increasing dramatically. However, there was no one else.

But still, the sounds plagued me. I press my palms against my temples in an attempt to get rid of them, but they only get louder. Louder, and closer.

I drop to my knees, my head pounding. Make it stop! I scream inside my mind. Screams resonate around my brain.

"(YOU'LL NEVER GET HIM!)"

My elbows drop to the ground, now useless in defending me from the attack of memories.

"(NOOO!)"

"P-Polska-"

I'm dragged into the memory for a millisecond, watching as my brother is taken away. Then, I see myself on the ground, crying into the leaves.

I'm pulled back, and I stop breathing for a moment. Are they gone?

I listen. No boots. No screams. No crying.

I straighten my elbows, slowly lifting myself off the ground shakily. You can do this. Don't be afraid of some stupid sounds.

I'm standing now, still shaking, but at least it's a start. Poppa's words echo around me.

"You are strong Poland. Just like your grandfather."

Well if Grandfather was so strong, why was he dead? Jeez, dad, make up your mind.

It has suddenly become very dark. The peachy sky had vanished, leaving behind a black, empty shell of its former glory.

I become lost in the endless sky, staring in wonder at the twinkling stars. They were so beautiful, so peaceful. I've heard about stronger countries going to space. Oh, how I'd love to do that someday.

The sheer serenity makes me want to stand there all night, stargazing.

Until I hear a branch crack.

__________________

cliffhanger HAHAHA-